Internet Phone Lagging

people use crap routers from their providers instead of buying one that has two way or dual bands for wifi. Usually the $150 model..

I recently looked at changing from Comcast to ATT for their hyped gig speed. They have a low buy-in price for 1 year then it jumps up.

I could deal with that but they REQUIRED that I RENT their equipment.

No deal.

Years ago I had ATT DSL with their crap Motorola modem. After so many problems I scrapped it, bought a Linksys and had no more problems.

With Comcast cable I use a Netgear Nighthawk plus Google Nest wifi. No down time. No dead spots.

I recently looked at changing from Comcast to ATT for their hyped gig speed. They have a low buy-in price for 1 year then it jumps up.

I could deal with that but they REQUIRED that I RENT their equipment.

No deal.

Years ago I had ATT DSL with their crap Motorola modem. After so many problems I scrapped it, bought a Linksys and had no more problems.

With Comcast cable I use a Netgear Nighthawk plus Google Nest wifi. No down time. No dead spots.

I bought the Google Nest Wifi 3-pack a couple of years ago. Coverage all over the house and even in the front and back yard. Money well spent.

When I first went with VOIP I had the lag problem. I looked at several providers and one IT guy told me the lag was caused by the equipment the provider used. He used the technical term for that piece of equipment, but I can't remember the name. I went with Vonage and the lag is very minimal.

I'm curious to know which VOIP provider many of you use. I switched to Ooma Office at the first of the year. I've had zero problems. Probably going to upgrade to Ooma Office Pro. It's $5 per month more than Ooma Office, but they add a few features such as voicemail transcription, enhanced call blocking and the main feature I will likely use most, call recording.

I'm curious to know which VOIP provider many of you use. I switched to Ooma Office at the first of the year. I've had zero problems. Probably going to upgrade to Ooma Office Pro. It's $5 per month more than Ooma Office, but they add a few features such as voicemail transcription, enhanced call blocking and the main feature I will likely use most, call recording.
Ringcentral. I've used them for 10 years with almost zero issues.

They also integrate with almost everything which is nice.

There is a lot of great advice on this forum on this topic.

The VOIP provider is important
The internet provider is important.
The modem/router is important.
Your computer LAN and Wifi Connection are important. [Often one is faster than the other and it might not be what you think it will be, thus you need to test this.]

The point is that they are all equally important. It doesn't really matter how fast you can go through three green lights in a row if you have to slow down for just one yellow light.

I’m a Ring Central Partner if any of you folks need a system w no BS and your own custom on-hold messages that sell, PM me.

Intermedia for the service. $30 monthly for me (one-person independent)
Yealink T46s phone (included in monthly fee, owned after a year)
Spectrum Internet. (its all that's available for home office)
Download is 190. Upload 11.
No lag, HD sound, plenty of features (like call recording).

Back