Is Anybody Making Real Money Out There?

Blue laws are what they used to be called down here in the South. Not sure why alcohol was associated with the color blue.

Around here, liquor has to be sold in a liquor store. No food allowed. Closes at 7pm, sharp, and they wont make an exception unless they know you and you have cash. At one time they couldnt even sell beer and wine. So some would actually have 2 stores side by side which were technically separate business entities. Now they are allowed to sell wine out of liquor stores but not beer.

No alcohol sales on Sunday.
That didnt change until about 18 or so years ago if I remember right. Then (now) it was only allowed in the city limits and not past 11pm. Its still banned in the county for sales on Sunday.... but they have annexed a ridiculous amount of area into the city for the sole purpose of selling alcohol on Sunday, LOL. And now it gets cut off at 12pm not 11. But if you are a "private club" then you could serve it 24/7, so lots of dive bars became private clubs that charged a $1 membership fee. Usually you could just tell them your a member and they wouldnt even check as long as you acted like you knew the place... Id just say hey to the oldest guy at the bar like I knew him and that usually worked.... that also worked well to avoid being carded before I was 21... LOL.

Then there was the "mini-bottle" law. Bars couldnt free pour, they had to use mini-bottles. Stupid since a mini-bottle is more liquor than a standard jig pour. And it made certain mixed drinks like a LIIT or top shelf margarita very expensive. They changed that law about 16 or 17 years ago.

Then there were the dry counties and cities. Still around actually in some of the small town backwoods sticks parts of the state.

Go to Louisiana and they have drive through daiquiri stands that sell "to go" liquor drinks. THAT was crazy to me. Of course the dui rate down there is pretty high compared to other states.

Wow! I can go to the corner zip and Rip gas station, Grab an 18 pack, papers and a Swisher, chips, dip, and a diarrhea microwave burrito, While I am at it some cheerios, milk, and coffee for the AM. Oh, and a teeth brush for gap-tooth Sally in case I get drunk and lucky. On Sunday morning.

And you've got to watch out for those revenuers too!!

Oh, I got that lecture too.

After declining to buy a bible dictionary from me, one guy, for reasons I no longer remember started talking to me about cock fighting. His friend with us there in the farm yard got all worried and said something like "he might be IRS, or Treasury, or FBI, or something-no longer remember the agency of choice. Things got very cold for a moment, the guy looked over at me and said "Not if he knows what's good for him, he isn't". Then bon homme was restored and he continued with what he had been telling me.:D

This comment needs to be prefaced with:
"Hush @goillini52, this is Watergate".

I had met Deep Throat a few years before this event and asked about what one needed to do to become an FBI agent. A few events like this while selling suggested to me that I probably did not have the courage or duplicity necessary to be a successful FBI agent.

Blue laws are what they used to be called down here in the South. Not sure why alcohol was associated with the color blue.

Around here, liquor has to be sold in a liquor store. No food allowed. Closes at 7pm, sharp, and they wont make an exception unless they know you and you have cash. At one time they couldnt even sell beer and wine. So some would actually have 2 stores side by side which were technically separate business entities. Now they are allowed to sell wine out of liquor stores but not beer.

No alcohol sales on Sunday.
That didnt change until about 18 or so years ago if I remember right. Then (now) it was only allowed in the city limits and not past 11pm. Its still banned in the county for sales on Sunday.... but they have annexed a ridiculous amount of area into the city for the sole purpose of selling alcohol on Sunday, LOL. And now it gets cut off at 12pm not 11. But if you are a "private club" then you could serve it 24/7, so lots of dive bars became private clubs that charged a $1 membership fee. Usually you could just tell them your a member and they wouldnt even check as long as you acted like you knew the place... Id just say hey to the oldest guy at the bar like I knew him and that usually worked.... that also worked well to avoid being carded before I was 21... LOL.

Then there was the "mini-bottle" law. Bars couldnt free pour, they had to use mini-bottles. Stupid since a mini-bottle is more liquor than a standard jig pour. And it made certain mixed drinks like a LIIT or top shelf margarita very expensive. They changed that law about 16 or 17 years ago.

Then there were the dry counties and cities. Still around actually in some of the small town backwoods sticks parts of the state.

Go to Louisiana and they have drive through daiquiri stands that sell "to go" liquor drinks. THAT was crazy to me. Of course the dui rate down there is pretty high compared to other states.

In MN, no beer/liquor in grocery or gas stations unless it’s 3.2 beer. We might be the last state that even has watered down beer in grocery stores.

Sunday sales just started a few years ago.

I will start by saying I have only been trying to sell for 2 months. I am getting discouraged and this isn't living up to what I thought it would be. Any suggestions would be great!

You've been somewhat roasted at this point, so I'll not go nuts.

First, what did you expect? You really have to answer that before anyone gives you any input.

Second, if you expected X, why did you expect that? Is there someone you know that did well in the business? Get to the heart of why you had the expectation you did.

Third, if you know someone that did do well, the basis for your expectation, ask them how long it took them to get where they got to. Once you have that answer, you have a more realistic expectation. If you are a super hard worker, like you self-proclaimed, cut that number in half. Doesn't mean it's accurate, but it should give you a more realistic timeline.

Now, reality! Anything that's worth doing takes time. If you are willing to invest 60-80 hours per week of diligent & intelligent effort, you should be able to accomplish what others may be able to do [best case] in half the time.

Unfortunately the attitude is often, "I start now where my parents currently are." They worked a lifetime for what they have. It won't take hard workers a lifetime to surpass their parents (much less time now), but it's not the starting point, and it's definitely not 2 months in.

The best product to sell is going to be the one you believe in (unless you are simply a stellar salesperson and then the product doesn't matter-they usually live for the sales game, not the product). After that, you have to be diligent. Sales is a numbers game. Figure out your closing ratio and back it out from there. Then make the number of calls or emails required to end up where you want to be. You input the money you want to make and you'll find out quick what it takes to get there.

Use this calc, but replace home with the insurance product: Reverse Lead Calculator | Market Leader (allows you to back out from the amount you want to make based on your personal stats)

Building a life takes more than 2 months. Figure out what you want and pursue it with all your heart and strength. PS. Insurance is a great business (not always easy, but it's worth the effort).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back