Is it illegal for licensed insurance agents to process cancer screening test?

This was just released by Aetna. Oddly formatted after cutting and pasting from a PDF.

ALERT: Potential Genetic Testing Scam
Recently, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) alerted us of a scam designed to generate Medicare member referrals to genetic testing companies. Please read this communication so you know what to watch out for and can help educate your clients.
Agents: Please be wary of any offers of payment in exchange for referrals of Medicare members for genetic testing or other medical services covered by Medicare. This may be part of a scam.
About the scam
The scam is occurring in multiple states at a variety of locations, including places like local health fairs, broker offices, convenience stores, grocery stores and shopping malls.
Based on the limited information we know at this time, it appears that some individuals are offering Medicare beneficiaries a cheek swab for genetic testing as part of a free health screening. Beneficiaries are told they just need to provide a cheek swab, and their ID and Medicare information, to receive their test results.
Medicare does not pay for these types of genetic predisposition (screening) tests , nor does Aetna. Additionally, requesting Medicare member information and/or providing it to a lab unnecessarily may potentially result in fraudulent activity.
Agent recruitment tactics
It’s been reported that some entities are recruiting agents and agencies to participate in getting their clients signed up for genetic testing. Agents are given the impression that the program is approved by Medicare and by carriers, which is not true. They charge agents upfront to participate and then pay agents for each client referred for genetic testing.

What you need to know – Your responsibilities as an agent
As an agent representing Aetna and Aetna Coventry Medicare plans, you must follow Aetna and CMS requirements. You’re responsible for knowing the rules and complying with them.

Aetna’s stance
Aetna absolutely does not condone or approve of any activities that violate CMS regulations. Any agents found conducting activities that are prohibited by CMS would face corrective action up to termination of their contract (“for cause”).
Remember, you play an important role in preventing fraud and abuse
As one of our contracted agents, you’re required to report all suspected or actual occurrences of non-compliance, fraud, waste or abuse. There are four ways to report potential issues. You can:
1. Make an anonymous call to the AlertLine (1-888-891-8910)
2. Visit AlertLine on the web, at Aetna.alertline.com
3. Write to Compliance, P.O. Box 370205, West Hartford, CT 06137-0205
4. Email Medicare Compliance at [email protected] or [email protected]

Resources to help you stay compliant • Aetna Medicare Marketing Code of Conduct • CVS Health Code of Conduct • Aetna Medicare Producer Guide • CMS Medicare Communications and Marketing Guidelines • Aetna Medicare Compliance 101 training • Medicare Marketing Do’s and Don’ts
Questions?

Thank you for your dedication and commitment to Aetna Medicare members. If you have any questions, we’re here to help. Just reach out to your local Aetna Medicare broker manager, or contact the Aetna Medicare Broker Services Department at 1-866-714-9301 or [email protected].

why does anyone exercise? to prevent from getting high blood p., or heart attack, oh boy.
What does that have to do with genetic testing "preventing" someone from getting cancer? How does genetic testing prevent one from getting cancer.? . That is the claim you made.. :radar:... Oh boy? Been a long time since I have been called a boy.. :twitchy:

This just in from UHC..

Update – Help Consumers Avoid Genetic Testing Fraud

Over the last couple of weeks, UnitedHealthcare has received questions from agents like you about genetic testing companies offering to pay agents to promote genetic testing services to Medicare beneficiaries. You are an advocate for your members and consumers, and we want to provide you with information that helps protect consumers from potential health care fraud. We also want to bring awareness of our policies for when you are dealing with organizations with which UnitedHealthcare does not have an affiliation.

Here is what you need to know

UnitedHealthcare agents may not promote genetic testing services to UnitedHealthcare members and/or consumers. UnitedHealthcare is prohibiting this activity for a number of reasons:

• CMS Marketing Rules- CMS prohibits health screenings, like genetic testing, at marketing events because they can be perceived as cherry picking.
  • UnitedHealthcare Producer Agreement/Policies- Under the UnitedHealthcare producer agreement, sales agents may not:
    • Act on behalf of UnitedHealthcare in promoting genetic testing services to members or consumers
    • Use our member PHI or UnitedHealthcare lead information to promote genetic testing services
    • Make representations about whether particular testing is covered by UnitedHealthcare
    • Steer UnitedHealthcare members to obtain tests through particular providers/labs based on financial interests
  • Anti-Kickback Law- Based on the information provided to UnitedHealthcare to date, we are concerned that some genetic testing companies appear to be paying agents to make a referral for medical testing that will be paid for by Medicare. These kinds of arrangements may implicate the Federal Anti-Kickback Statute.
If we learn of any activities by agents using UnitedHealthcare information or targeting of UnitedHealthcare members or consumers for the purpose of promoting genetic testing, we will take all appropriate action, which may include terminating an agent’s producer agreement.

Questions

If you have questions or would like to report concerns about offers received to work with genetic testing companies, contact the Compliance mailbox at [email protected].

Thank you for your business! We strive to provide unmatched value and a distinctive experience to you and our members.

I just had dinner with one of my FMO sales managers who is in town for meetings this week. He's well aware of this "scam," and said any agents getting paid are because of the MLM costs to join. Not from CMS, the labs, etc.

He also was recently on a conference call regarding this and pretty soon a lot of people are going to be in BIG TROUBLE, is what the man told me!

I just had dinner with one of my FMO sales managers who is in town for meetings this week. He's well aware of this "scam," and said any agents getting paid are because of the MLM costs to join. Not from CMS, the labs, etc.

He also was recently on a conference call regarding this and pretty soon a lot of people are going to be in BIG TROUBLE, is what the man told me!

Gorden Marketing doesn't seem to be afraid of advertising all over this forum. You have heard it a scam call us for the truth

Then again I could never get past their wacky commercials, I always felt they were a red flag, Especially the Tom Cruise one, Can't seem to find that one anymore

Well, all I can think of is DNA testing itself isn't a scam, but the way this is being marketed is. Maybe they're trying to sort things out?

A lot of people are going to look really foolish soon. And how do you expain to an army of angry agents they aren't getting paid after they ran around swabbing folks?

Gorden Marketing doesn't seem to be afraid of advertising all over this forum. You have heard it a scam call us for the truth

Then again I could never get past their wacky commercials, I always felt they were a red flag, Especially the Tom Cruise one, Can't seem to find that one anymore
I've heard that those gals don't release. :skeptical:

While looking for the Tom Cruise video, I ran across this cover of one of my favorite songs. Doesn't have anything to do with this thread. So what else is new. :twitchy:

Last edited:
Back