Is Selling Insurance a Young Mans Game? (changing Careers)

Just curious Im thinking about changing careers and going into Insurance...

My concerns are when I run out of friends and family to reach out to provide service, who will my next client be?

Just curious Im thinking about changing careers and going into Insurance...

My concerns are when I run out of friends and family to reach out to provide service, who will my next client be?

Yes, if you only plan is to sell to your friends and family members, you wont make it long.

Learn how to prospect, get out and talk to some people.

You have to have a gameplan before getting into this business.

well, i changed to selling insurance, part-time, i am 59. this is where the grey hair works in your favor. i don't know how old you are, but the senior market, selling to other baby boomers. what kind of insurance do you want to sell. and where in nj do you live?.

well, i changed to selling insurance, part-time, i am 59. this is where the grey hair works in your favor. i don't know how old you are, but the senior market, selling to other baby boomers. what kind of insurance do you want to sell. and where in nj do you live?.

B61mack, do you sell part time? What do you sell? By the way when is your birthday? I will be 59 in December.

june 1952, i sell disability to federal employees, the reason i sell it part -time, not enough business, i am now going to start selling FE, but i still do hvac/and appliance repair. i am passing that part to my son. i am to old to keep climbing in attic's to fix a/c's. or fix a oil boiler in a cold basement in feb.

If i was a young man(I'll be 60 in October) again I'd talk to Frank to learn about medicare for the renewals, and Hooiser Daddy, JDEASY or some of the other FE gurus to make income now.

I'd would stay independent.

I'm 24 here and love what I do. It's a great career, you need exceptional drive and work ethic since it is an easy job to slack off. The more you do the more you make. If your capable of devoting 50hours a week then your right for this job. Besides cold calling and meeting people for appointments there is tons of things to do to market yourself.

Having limited friends doesn't mean a lot. I myself was rather a loner for most my life so I didn't have a great pool of friends and most my family is deceased. This left me with networking with CPA's that are just starting up, realtors that are just beginning business.

Basically anyone around my age that was starting out. I've done medicare, ltc, health, life, annuities and disability. Found that age is not always the problem as it is drive. Are you doing whats in the best interest of the client.

Also dress well, this will make them think you care more about your job, know your products by heart, that lets them know your dedicated to your profession rather then just here's a plans deductible, here's the co payment, here's the price, sign here.

Its a great business, I've meet with lots of older people when age does sometimes frown upon me, but as long as you stay proactive you'll do fine.

Don't get discouraged when people ask "how old are you?" Sometimes I reply with my age and a question of my own, such as "so what does your signature look like, show me here" its meant as a joke to lighten them up a bit. Many people find that funny.

Just be honest and have fun with it.

I started back when I was 19. While the exuberance of youth is a great thing... it does not compare with the respect earned as a distinguished guy in his mid 40's, I hope!!

Learn how to prospect, get out and talk to some people.

Do you suggest any books to become more informative on ways to attack this?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
well, i changed to selling insurance, part-time, i am 59. this is where the grey hair works in your favor

Im 33 but I think I can have some grey highlights put in to give the older distinguished yet trusting look....lol

Last edited:
Back