Is Working for NY Life Possible with a Few Misdemeanors?

Banderson3277

I recently got a call and set up an appointment to learn more about New York Life. I have 2 misdemeanors for underage drinking and 2 misdemeanors for smoking marijuana. All instances occurred over 4.5 years ago and have since turned my life around. I am now 24 years old and I have recently finished college with a masters in accounting.

Do I even stand a chance? Should I even go to the meeting/interview?

Any advice is much appreciated. I would just rather go into their office with full confidence that its not impossible.

Thanks!

you can always try.....will be interesting.....report back on how it goes.......

Little of both.

The real question is can you get a license?

I can be a licensed insurance agent in the state of south dakota, yes.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
misdeamors arent a problem for getting licensed are they? this guy was trying to get me to sell supplemental life and he said it was no problem.. so I assumed a license is a license.. unless you mean series 6. the state board of accountancy is letting me set for the CPA exam so I assumed insurance would be similar..

Last edited:
Most people have smoked and drank before they turned 21... My question is, why did you get caught so often? Get it together!

"the state board of accountancy is letting me set for the CPA exam "

That was going to be my first question... If you've gone to the trouble to major in accounting, why look at NYL as an agent? As a sales manager I would have to wonder a bit if you'd stick around? If you're planning to do both, you may not be able to do it with NYL anyway.

IF you pass you CPA exam, will you go to work for a practice?

Also, do you have a natural conflict between insurance concepts and accounting concepts. One of my best friends is a successful long time CPA and we have client conversations all the time where we start out opposed to something insurance wise. Usually I am able to explain why an expense is necessary vs the risk of going without.

Good luck. NYL is a great company for the most part. Spent a decade with them, my personal policies are all with them. It's going to depend on the office you interview with. But are you sure this is a career you want if you're going to sit for the state CPA exam?

Oh? and my CPA friend and I brew hella beer together and a lot of our business conversations are over a beer or two. Seems like that industry might be more forgiving.

"the state board of accountancy is letting me set for the CPA exam "

That was going to be my first question... If you've gone to the trouble to major in accounting, why look at NYL as an agent? As a sales manager I would have to wonder a bit if you'd stick around? If you're planning to do both, you may not be able to do it with NYL anyway.

IF you pass you CPA exam, will you go to work for a practice?

Also, do you have a natural conflict between insurance concepts and accounting concepts. One of my best friends is a successful long time CPA and we have client conversations all the time where we start out opposed to something insurance wise. Usually I am able to explain why an expense is necessary vs the risk of going without.

Good luck. NYL is a great company for the most part. Spent a decade with them, my personal policies are all with them. It's going to depend on the office you interview with. But are you sure this is a career you want if you're going to sit for the state CPA exam?

Oh? and my CPA friend and I brew hella beer together and a lot of our business conversations are over a beer or two. Seems like that industry might be more forgiving.

If I passed I would work for a firm. I will pass all of them soon as well. Accounting is just so stressul, and there isnt a whole lot of room for salary growth potential, compared to what iv seen with insurance. start at 40k.. work 15 years and your at 90k. And yeah I can learn insurance and I fully understand the concepts as well, so thats not an issue. I really enjoyed your post! anything else you have to say would be great

Always good to find another homebrewer. How long have you been brewing?

Back