Is Working for NY Life Possible with a Few Misdemeanors?

band?

another thing? How do you feel about whole life? NYL is a whole life company 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

NYL like many companies is a good company. That said, your entire experience may be completely different based on what office you work out of. Unlike the one poster, yes, there are crooks at NYL. NYL tries to root them out, and while it doesn't make the news. They make dam sure the agents know. So pay attention to your surroundings, trust your gut feel, and unless you have a solid market coming in, cut your sales manager's numbers in half.

Good luck, I think the CPA thing might be a deal breaker actually for them. NYL's attitude corp level is balls in, having a side career as a cpa, may not sit well. A toe in and a toe out is not how they normally look at this business. It's been 13 years since I was there for a decade, so I may be a dinosaur, but in the old days it was that way.

good luck.

A+ thread derailment. Good homebrew is good. I vote for the LV agent meetup to happen at Public House at the Venetian, excellent tap and bottle list. Typing this as I sip a Drake's Denogginizer which was preceded by a Ballast Point Sculpin. Excellent decisions.

Last edited:
Branderson....what you're going to find is that to be successful in this business there's nothing more relevant than alcohol.

Hilarious. And true. I get lots of leads from being social.

To the original poster, I've got a drinking underage conviction, it doesn't bother me any. The two pot charges will probably get you funny looks, but I dont think they preclude you from getting appointed.
They are mostly looking for anything resembling fraud.
On mine, which is 20 years ago, I got a ticket for giving the cop a fake name and that came up when I was getting securities licensed, even though it was thrown out and 15+ years old.

To the more important part of the thread, my neighbor has 4 home brewed kegs on tap in his living room. He converted a freezer, wired a thermostat control and built a wood case around it. His wife even let him do it. Fun stuff making the beer, work 10 minutes, drink 2 hours, work 10 minutes drink 2 hours. Wish I could do that with insurance! (hehe) His America Pale Ale is better than Sweetwater 420, which is my favorite at the store. Fun stuff.

Give me a St Bernardus ABT 12 and I'll be just fine.....

I need to check out the Ballast Point offerings....I see they have some great ratings. I'm in Florida so I need to find out where they have it around here.

If you haven't tried anything from Cigar City Brewing Co....(out of Tampa), you should---they have quite a few excellent brews.

I was out walking the dog last night and one of my neighbors offered up some of his homebrew IPA. Super hopped (5 kinds) and secondaried with Oak, really tasty. I'm not a hop head, don't care for the bitter finish, the oak reduced this. So you had all taste and smell of hops without that bite at the end. Good stuff.

Give me a St Bernardus ABT 12 and I'll be just fine.....

I need to check out the Ballast Point offerings....I see they have some great ratings. I'm in Florida so I need to find out where they have it around here.

If you haven't tried anything from Cigar City Brewing Co....(out of Tampa), you should---they have quite a few excellent brews.

Cigar City is great, too bad they don't have national distribution yet.

Quick question to the Brewers here (and an apology to the OP for Thread Drift):

Has anyone done anything with distilled spirits? I have an apple tree in my backyard that puts out a ton of stunted apples each year that aren't worth trying to make anything edible. I've been toying with the idea of crushing them and shooting for something a little harder. Anyone?

BTW: @ OP:

Swing high and hard and don't sweat the little stuff. The worse they can say is "no" and you would need to get used to hearing that anyhow, right? Personally, I'm starting a second career in the Insurance Biz with an eye towards moving into Investments and Financial Advice and when it comes to my plans for the future I get more static than a Westinghouse radio. What I am finding is that I get the most crap from people who can't find a way to feed off my plans. FWIW.

Best Wishes

Last edited:
Back