Josh's Lists

I bought a list once.. Paid for it and everything.. When I received it, I laid it on my desk and waited for people to call. No one ever did.. My conclusion is don't waste your money.. Lists just don't work.. :goofy:

I bought a list once.. Paid for it and everything.. When I received it, I laid it on my desk and waited for people to call. No one ever did.. My conclusion is don't waste your money.. Lists just don't work.. :goofy:

I heard somewhere that you have to call them. I heard it on the internet so it has to be true.

Generally you and I differ in our opinion about the efficacy of telemarketing, but I'm leaning towards agreeing with you on this point.

If you need a list of homeowners, small businesses, seniors, etc my lists are a slam dunk. Inexpensive, accurate, easy to work with, much simpler than sorting your own. For specialty data it's really hit and miss. For example, I have a pretty good source for pool owners. On the other hand, I had a guy submit a count request today looking for people that like hip hop music. I can't do the hip hop music. That doesn't mean someone doesn't have a mailing list of folks that subscribe to hip hop magazines or something of that nature, it just means I don't have it. Another request yesterday was for a list of folks that buy Christian movies at Christian book stores. Again, no dice.

I have had good luck with a guy that was selling electronic cigarettes using our smoker file and that went well.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ideas like this will probably do better than the lists I offer. I'm skeptical about the likelihood of a membership association giving out their member list, but I'm sure they'd love to have another advertiser/event sponsor. Visiting stables might also be a slam dunk.

I'm going to chime in here, as I have more experience with this than probably everyone here combined. I never wrote the insurance, but I knew a producer who did.

Buying a list is going to be a complete waste of money. Of the people who bought equine insurance, she maybe spoke with half of them. The rest of the time she spoke with an assistant, stable manager, etc.

The single most effective way they marketed was for the agency owner and her to attend a horse show every year in Shelbyville, TN. If he went and glad handed, they wrote business. When he didn't it fell off and was basically referrals and existing clients.

It is a niche, and seems a pretty tight and close one at that. Hanging out at the feed store is another waste of time. As she explained to me and it makes sense, you aren't insuring the horse you keep to take a ride on every now and then. You are insuring the show horse, the race horse and the breeding horse. How many do you think buy at the local feed store?

I'm going to chime in here, as I have more experience with this than probably everyone here combined. I never wrote the insurance, but I knew a producer who did.

Buying a list is going to be a complete waste of money. Of the people who bought equine insurance, she maybe spoke with half of them. The rest of the time she spoke with an assistant, stable manager, etc.

The single most effective way they marketed was for the agency owner and her to attend a horse show every year in Shelbyville, TN. If he went and glad handed, they wrote business. When he didn't it fell off and was basically referrals and existing clients.

It is a niche, and seems a pretty tight and close one at that. Hanging out at the feed store is another waste of time. As she explained to me and it makes sense, you aren't insuring the horse you keep to take a ride on every now and then. You are insuring the show horse, the race horse and the breeding horse. How many do you think buy at the local feed store?

Good points. She does also sell your normal home, auto, life, health etc. Her niche is equine but she sells the full range. I want to hone in on life for the most part as I want to receive the highest commissions I can get. Was curious about equine though. I'm going to talk to her more this afternoon during a 2pm meeting. I haven't officially accepted the position with her yet. Still digging around and fact gathering as much as I can beforehand. I also need to see what type of contract she will offer.

My wife and I want to start our own agency but I want to learn the ropes from an experience agent first. This one is indy, so I figured she might be a good one to learn from.

Aright guys maybe I am a little ignorant on the subject here, but how in the heck do you even get a horse to answer his phone to set up an appointment?

Back