Just Checking .............. Twenty

With fewer than 20 employees Medicare is primary, EGHP is secondary. If he doesn't take Part B when eligible at 65, the EGHP can exclude the 80% Medicare should have paid. That leaves him with very little coverage if he takes this advice.

----------

True. Those are his options. I'll try for a Plan G if they can qualify, use GI F if declined.

Oxford will do Plan N GI as well

TX answer (and I think its state specific question)...if he has Part B AND group coverage, he gets a guaranteed issue Med Supp.
I know it it state-specific if the loss of coverage is voluntary. I believe it's every state if the loss of coverage is involuntary. Only mostly sure on that as I'm in a state where it's GI for either.

Joe shouldn't have gone on Part B at 65, instead should have waited till he retired 2 years later and then have his Open Enrollment for Medigap....

As Wes pointed out, that wouldn't have been wise. The key here is the size of the group.

With fewer than 20 employees Medicare is primary, EGHP is secondary. If he doesn't take Part B when eligible at 65, the EGHP can exclude the 80% Medicare should have paid. That leaves him with very little coverage if he takes this advice.

Not surprised that you and Scott got it, but surprised others did not pick up on that sooner.

This is a real case. Wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Wife T65 in Feb. Husband on group (less than 20), has A & B.

Groups agent (that husb and wife have known for years) told husband he can qualify for any plan when he retires. Supposedly he is healthy now. (Talked with wife, not husband). Explained the scenario (GI to F or underwritten) and even provided citations.

She went back to the group agent who told them I didn't know what I was talking about. She bought from him and husband will apply when he retires.

I believe Empty (where is that guy?) talks about the "Wedge" and I sure tried to create one but didn't work.

Their group agent is a rube that lives in the sticks and always writes BX. I even included wording from the BX Medigap app to further substantiate my claim that this would be GI (unless he can qualify medically).

Oh well.

Not surprised that you and Scott got it, but surprised others did not pick up on that sooner. This is a real case. Wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything. Wife T65 in Feb. Husband on group (less than 20), has A & B. Groups agent (that husb and wife have known for years) told husband he can qualify for any plan when he retires. Supposedly he is healthy now. (Talked with wife, not husband). Explained the scenario (GI to F or underwritten) and even provided citations. She went back to the group agent who told them I didn't know what I was talking about. She bought from him and husband will apply when he retires. I believe Empty (where is that guy?) talks about the "Wedge" and I sure tried to create one but didn't work. Their group agent is a rube that lives in the sticks and always writes BX. I even included wording from the BX Medigap app to further substantiate my claim that this would be GI (unless he can qualify medically). Oh well.
That group agent will likely put them in F because "it's the best" so he won't be exposed for his lack of knowledge on GI rules. But it would be great if he applied the client GI for G and had to explain why they won't allow it.

There is also a good chance that they should just take Medicare and supp/pdp from the get go as it might be much cheaper and way less oop. Then they could take G at 65 and get best rates

BX GA no longer offers G and their F rates are ridiculously high. Husband currently 67 and plans on retiring later this year.

Absolutely correct and CA is a different world. UHC generally is competitive on Plan N and will allow GI. And with birthday rule I can always move someone.

It's funny. In my training I point that out. In my practice it's meaningless.

Rick

UHC offers Plan N GI? Is this just a Cali thing Rick?

Back