Just want to confirm

billyb

Guru
1000 Post Club
Florida
Have a client with a 10/1 Medicare effective date. Just filled all her meds for 90 days so she is good until January 2024. When does she have to buy a PDP to avoid a penalty? Can she wait until January?

I'm assuming when you say "10/1 Medicare effective date" that all eligibility (Part A, B, D) starts 10/1 so we're in the IEP. The clock starts at the end of the IEP so if the client wanted to play games, then yes, coverage could start 1/1.

From CMS:
The Part D plan sponsor shall use the Beneficiary Eligibility
Query (BEQ) or Common UI and other available information to determine whether
there is a lapse in creditable prescription drug coverage of 63 continuous days or
more since the end of his/her prior Part D/RDS enrollment, IEP, or subsequent IEP.

Is she in IEP? If she’s T65 in October, then her IEP ends on January 31 and she could even delay enrolling in a PDP until her IEP ends.

But there’s more to consider—is she willing to accept the risk that she might need a new medication between 10/1 and 12/31 that would not be covered at all? Given the prices of drugs compared to the PDP premiums, I think I’d choose to pay the premium to avoid that risk.

Back