Just Checking .............. Twenty

He absolutely should have taken part B when t65, his EGHP is secondary, when he retired he is GI for A, B, C, F, K, or L. Underwritten for N or G. His other option would have been to decline the employers coverage and taken the sup of his choice, some employers will pay for it since it is cheaper than their portion of the EGHP and possibly lower the average age of the group plan.

He absolutely should have taken part B when t65, his EGHP is secondary, when he retired he is GI for A, B, C, F, K, or L. Underwritten for N or G. His other option would have been to decline the employers coverage and taken the sup of his choice, some employers will pay for it since it is cheaper than their portion of the EGHP and possibly lower the average age of the group plan.

True, except .......

His (dependent) spouse is 2 yrs younger. Had he dropped group health to go on Mcare his wife would have to choose COBRA, Obamacare or go without coverage for a couple of years.

This doesnt really apply or matter to me, but since some medsupp guys post useless drivel and meaningless info in the FE forum I thought I would oblige and do the same. Yall keep it rocking, good stuff too, many of you are really "in tune" with the medicare rules and regs, bravo.

True, except ....... His (dependent) spouse is 2 yrs younger. Had he dropped group health to go on Mcare his wife would have to choose COBRA, Obamacare or go without coverage for a couple of years.
Younger spouse definitely a factor and a key screening question for T65 callers. Mine, in about this order, are: 1) are you or your spouse still working? 2) do you have an employer group health plan through that job? 3) does the employer have 20 or more employees? 4) do you have a younger spouse or other dependent covered by your employer plan? 5) is your plan an HSA? 6) are you receiving Social Security benefits?

From these answers I can tell them whether to take it all--Parts A and B plus med supp/D or MAPD, or Part A and B but keep EGHP, or Part A only, or no part of Medicare yet, and whether or not they need to sign the back of an already received Medicare card and return it. If they're any except the first I tell them not to let anyone like me sell them anything, get them on my newsletter mailing list, and write them when they retire, or in some cases when the younger spouse turns 65 even if they're still working. It's unfortunate--but not surprising--how many of those I've advised to wait have already been pitched hard on Medicare products by other agents.

Last edited:
It's unfortunate--but not surprising--how many of those I've advised to wait have already been pitched hard on Medicare products by other agents.

As usual, good stuff there.

I am the first to admit my long term follow up could improve. Things like a REGULAR newsletter (vs when I think about it) would allow me to write more business after the initial contact.

Even still, I am pleasantly surprised at the number of people that reach out to me months or years later when their situation changes. Sometimes it is people I never talked to but did get my follow up emails after their initial visit to my site.

Wrote an app last week on a referral from someone turning 65 in May. I never spoke to the May T65 but she sent my emails to a friend who called and wanted my advice.

Younger spouse definitely a factor and a key screening question for T65 callers. Mine, in about this order, are: 1) are you or your spouse still working? 2) do you have an employer group health plan through that job? 3) does the employer have 20 or more employees? 4) do you have a younger spouse or other dependent covered by your employer plan? 5) is your plan an HSA? 6) are you receiving Social Security benefits?

From these answers I can tell them whether to take it all--Parts A and B plus med supp/D or MAPD, or Part A and B but keep EGHP, or Part A only, or no part of Medicare yet, and whether or not they need to sign the back of an already received Medicare card and return it. If they're any except the first I tell them not to let anyone like me sell them anything, get them on my newsletter mailing list, and write them when they retire, or in some cases when the younger spouse turns 65 even if they're still working. It's unfortunate--but not surprising--how many of those I've advised to wait have already been pitched hard on Medicare products by other agents.

Why #5? The other ones I get (and use). At this point, unless its a Fortune 100 company, Im finding Med Supp, even when combined with a younger spouses COBRA costs, is usually a better plan when I "spreadsheet" it. Is that also what you find?

Also, are you writing your own newsletter?

Back