Kaplan Vs. ExamFx Vs. AD Banker?

In my preliminary research, I found AD Banker and was going to purchase some resources to study with but found some negative reviews online, so held back.

I plan on ordering Kaplan, but are there any free resources out there to get me started while I wait? Thank you for your help!

In my preliminary research, I found AD Banker and was going to purchase some resources to study with but found some negative reviews online, so held back.

I plan on ordering Kaplan, but are there any free resources out there to get me started while I wait? Thank you for your help!
Probably too late for you, but anyone reading this - I would avoid any free resources. Not because they are "bad" so much as they are usually not designed for PLE (I've not seen a decent/free PLE based site) they are factual sites about reality. Unfortunately, PLE info isn't always in line with reality/necessary info you would get off knowledge sites. PLE focuses on rules and doesn't acknowledge exceptions, making the info you test on a little different from the "real world."

I'm a little late to this discussion, but I thought I would post a reply anyway. I recently took the Life and Health, but I didn't use any of the popular test prep companies. I was introduced to a company called Xcel test solutions they can be found at: https://xceltesting.com They only have the L&H course right now, but it was great! I scored 90% on that state exam. I moved on to P&C used ExamFx but found the material was written with vague concepts in certain areas (although the online video examples help to clarify, this can be frustrating) and sometimes when explaining the same principle in another section, it is worded differently which throws off your natural reinforced learning mechanism when you have to translate something back to it's intended meaning. DeadSlash said Kaplan is too wordy and he is probably right... I downloaded some of their material off the net, but I think ExamFx is a close second for verbal diarrhea. The CPP section is the longest; I had to save it for last. There is another company called Latitudes (aka www.getthelicense.com). A friend of mine used them awhile back for the P&C (scoring about 83%). I borrowed his handbook to use as a study guide with the online Examfx and found the explanations in the Latitude manual easier to understand and the information was more condensed down to what you needed to know. However, using two resources for prep, I scored 88%, but I couldn't tell you which was responsible for the scoring. I can say Latitudes is easier to understand and uses repeat verbiage verbatim to explain same/similar concepts used later on in other areas. Try Latitudes... If I am not mistaken, their material is written by an agent with multiple designations and years of experience in the fields of claims adjusting, writing insurance policies, and financial planning; go figure!

BoosterGold - thanks for that information. I'm teaching my 2nd class of individuals to become licensed in P & C, and so far 10 out of 11 passed on their first attempts - we had some very high scores too (an 88, 89, 90 and a 92) - 7 of 8 passed in the first class and so far all 3 who took it in my current class passed.

These students study for 3-4 weeks and the methods we use seem to work well.

We have used 3 resources, Kaplan, ExamFX and Insurance Schools Inc and I also created customized assignments/quizzes/exercises based off of this information.

Four others are taking the licensing exam on Friday so I'll try to post another update with the outcome then.

I looked through a bunch of sites for Oregon and I think I'm going to go with AD Banker. Their Silver plan really is all you need - the rest is fluff, which is what I've seen with most of these places. I'm guessing this isn't a high margin business so they really want you to go "Gold", "Premium", "Extra Super Duper", etc. but for each of the places I looked at, the basic package was sufficient. Premium's the same whether you score 80 or 100.

Amerist is another one I haven't completely ruled out. I need to search YouTube and see some demos before committing.

I have been asked by a trainer recently at my insurance company to reflect on the quality of education that I received from ExamFx for P&C. So here is my opinion... I noted that most of the material presented was as complete as it could be in relation to the state exam which I passed with an 80%. However, when I got to the section on commercial package policies, I was blown out of the water because the material seemed as if it was written in a hurry didn't make sense. The section was 60 pages long but didn't make it past page 20. I actually ended up sourcing material from other sources. I used Latitude to fill the learning gap. You can go to Insurance School | Insurance License Online Course | Insurance Exam Prep -aka- Latitude Insurance School Online. The best way to test the strength of your prep material would be to use an independently sourced computer practice exam battery and that should tell you what you have.

For what it is worth....

LHA - Typically easier to pass if you understand the basic concepts, so any reputable company should be able to provide quality curriculum. When I first went through it, it was taught by Primerica when I signed up in 2006 (ugh)... last go round was Kaplan.

P&C- This is where you figure out quality vs. crap. While most of the basic P&C stuff is cake, once you get into some of the commercial and marine coverages... it can get confusing. Partly because I was never really exposed to the marine/ freight type coverage need and was learning to write simple HO and auto. Kaplan worked well for me.

Variables- While I hate 'em... I'm licensed for them. Used TestTeachers for that course. Heard they got bought out (?), but I passed the 6/63 with them.

Anyone know of any discounts on the popular programs?

I see people sometimes referencing codes for the different sites...

Thanks

Back