Leads Prospecting Guide from Greg Rosenthal

Re: Prospecting Guide That Greg Rosenthal Wrote

Read the states General Statutes and look for exemptions. I believe there are some exemptions in each state.

Last edited:

I might not be following this correctly. So forget about the intent of the people who signed up for the DNC who do not want to be called - call anyway, then get smug and school them on federal and state laws? Good luck with that. I'm sure you'd write a ton of business calling people who are on the DNC on a "interstate" loophole.

Good post good information will try this out but with some changes.

I don't do it, but based on our culture in SC, I'm not sure most people would care if a local southern person called and talked to them to see if they could help. The intent I had when I signed up for it was to keep away the calls from people that read page long scripts and don't give you time to get a word in edge wise. In the south, we're brought up to be polite, which means to nicely tell them you're not interested. It's aggravating when they don't give you that chance.

Agreed. We wouldn't have the DNC if it we not for overly aggressive "don't take no for an answer" companies calling that trained their reps to overcome all of your objections.

I never had an issue calling small biz owners since I was always polite and never pressed the issue. You'll always do well calling with a personal touch. Most people can't stand scripts.

I don't do it, but based on our culture in SC, I'm not sure most people would care if a local southern person called and talked to them to see if they could help. The intent I had when I signed up for it was to keep away the calls from people that read page long scripts and don't give you time to get a word in edge wise. In the south, we're brought up to be polite, which means to nicely tell them you're not interested. It's aggravating when they don't give you that chance.

The agent friend of mine that has paid two fines was a lifelong Nashville, TN resident who only called the Nashville, TN area. It was soon after the DNC laws went into effect so he MAY have been an "example".

When KY was designing a state law they were going to make it legal to call people who were within 40-miles of where you were calling from. That would have been good for the businesses and also eliminated 90% of the garbage calls from telemarketers. Once the federal law came out they just rolled into it.

Let me tell you here, NEVER tell them where or how you got their names. Tell them you got them from the phone book, that you work the phone book every week. When they get your “pre-approach letter” you want it to appear to be a timely coincidence. They will interpret it as DIVINE INTERVENTION, or karma, or fate, or the hand of God, or an inspiration. You want them to think it is their idea to allow you to visit them, after they receive your letter.

Mark, what did Greg do (or what do you do) when/if you send letters to multiple people who attended a funeral or are listed in an obituary, and they "compare notes"?

For example, let's say we send letters to the sisters of a woman who just died at age 38. They both set appointments when we make our follow up phone calls. At some point, the sisters are talking on the phone or IMing...

Sister 1: Weird coincidence...I got a random letter from a life insurance agent the other day. I figured I'd better meet with him after what happened to our sister.
Sister 2: Really, what's his name?
Sister 1: Agent XYZ. I'm meeting with him Wednesday.
Sister 2: Maybe it wasn't a coincidence...he sent me a letter too and I'm meeting with him Thursday!

I'm sure you could see where this could get uncomfortable if you're saying your letters are "random".

That said, this has happened twice this year.... Somebody died without insurance, and within 24 hours multiple family members are calling me looking to get coverage. They got my number because another family member does have coverage with me. Very easy to be of service to these people!

Currently it's against federal law to telemarket to any cell phone. There was rumors of a 411 cell phone directory but it's never been implemented.

There is currently no way for any telemarketing company to get a hold of your cell number. It's not published anywhere....quote]

Despite that law, I and a friend of mine have received text messages that were 100% spam.

Back