Leads Prospecting Guide from Greg Rosenthal

Re: Prospecting Guide That Greg Rosenthal Wrote

Okay, after playing around with this idea for a day or so, I have another source for names....

this works particularly well if the deceased was a young person under the age of 50.

Look up the deceased's address using anywho.com or any other online telephone directory (anywho.com seems to give the most accurate results, but whitepages.com works well too). Then go to whitepages.com to use their neighbor search feature to get all of the names, addresses, and phone numbers of the neighbors of the deceased.

The neighbors probably know the deceased, know the story, attend the funeral, etc., but aren't going to be listed in the obit.

Hope this helps ....

Garrett

Great info Mark.

Also glad this info came out about the DNC. Checking now for SC. I will get back to anyone in SC who cares.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
SC has no DNC law, so SC agents call to your hearts content.

Last edited:

Seems like most of these laws were set up not to harm small, local business owners. It's mainly to keep telemarketing firms away.

The following is taken from the FCCs website concerning the Federal Do Not Call List

"Pursuant to its authority under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), the FCC established, together with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), a national Do-Not-Call Registry. The registry is nationwide in scope, applies to all telemarketers (with the exception of certain non-profit organizations), and covers both interstate and intrastate telemarketing calls. Commercial telemarketers are not allowed to call you if your number is on the registry, subject to certain exceptions. As a result, consumers can, if they choose, reduce the number of unwanted phone calls to their homes."

I find this confusing if you read state Do-Not Call list like the link from CA the CA law allows calls from businesses within 50 miles of the consumer however the CA DNC states it coordinates with the Federal DNC meaning if a consumer signs up for the CA lists they are automaticalled signed up for the Federal List...as I read it the federal list does not have the same exemption that CA lists.

The other question I have is the Federal DNC specifically mentions "Commerical Telemarketers" do they mena companies only in the business of telemarketing? or do they use this terms because charities and policital calls are exempt.

The following is taken from the FCCs website concerning the Federal Do Not Call List

"Pursuant to its authority under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), the FCC established, together with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), a national Do-Not-Call Registry. The registry is nationwide in scope, applies to all telemarketers (with the exception of certain non-profit organizations), and covers both interstate and intrastate telemarketing calls. are automaticalled signed up for the Federal List...as I read it the federal list does not have the same exemption that CA lists. quote]

That's the way I've always understood it. You can't call people in or out of state.

Many of the states designed their own DNC lists prior to the federal DNC rules. Most states rolled their state lists into the federal list automatically. Other states (Indiana being one of them) felt their own state version was better and did not roll state lists onto the federal. That means when you call in Indiana, you have to check two lists- the state and the federal lists.

Indiana has an exemption for licensed insurance agents calling from within Indiana as long as they identify themselves as an insurance agent within the first 15-seconds of the call they are exempt from the state list. They are NOT exempt from the federal list, even in Indiana.

Bottom line, don't call anyone who is on the Federal list at all unless they have responded to an advertisement or are a current client, and check the state lists to make sure you aren't subject to fines there either.

Makes door-knocking look better and better for new agents.

Not so great in Maine...Maine has made it to illegal to door knock seniors and also illegal to cross sell on a medicare appointment for anything not disclosed prior to the acceptance of the appointment.

Don't get me wrong I think these programs can be good but it just seems everytime you turn around more and more restrictions are placed on how one can generate business by politicians that are not subject to the same rules.

I have not placed my phone on the DNC list and I'll tell you policital calls are starting to heat up and I hate those more than anything. Maybe it has something to do with the fact they are not subject to the same rules that I am...oh and my taxes go to pay for them to scr*w me over with new rules.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Many of the states designed their own DNC lists prior to the federal DNC rules. Most states rolled their state lists into the federal list automatically. Other states (Indiana being one of them) felt their own state version was better and did not roll state lists onto the federal. That means when you call in Indiana, you have to check two lists- the state and the federal lists.

Indiana has an exemption for licensed insurance agents calling from within Indiana as long as they identify themselves as an insurance agent within the first 15-seconds of the call they are exempt from the state list. They are NOT exempt from the federal list, even in Indiana.

Bottom line, don't call anyone who is on the Federal list at all unless they have responded to an advertisement or are a current client, and check the state lists to make sure you aren't subject to fines there either.

That was my point say I lived in CA and wanted to get rid of the out of state telemarketers and I was willing to recieve solicitations from local businesses so I sign up for the CA list and CA lists me automatically on the Fed list meaning the well thought out exclusion in CA is superceded by the Fed list.

And personally why is a non-profit calling me to suck money out of me with out providing me any service considered different then a company calling to sell me a product I can recieve benefit from? Yes I know my rant will change nothing

Last edited:

on donotcall.gov (or whatever the website is) it makes no mention of intrastate that I can see.

Michigan's website
Exception:
Businesses that request face to face meetings but do not urge the customer to make a decision regarding a purchase at the time of the call.

I don't telemarket. But if I did (or hired someone to)...and if I just set appointments, I should be OK, right?

Back