Less Face To Face Appointments Covid-19

Follow-up: 2 take away's for old and new agents alike. In life sales, handling claims can be very important as an agent, and rewarding as a salesman. Second one, taking the time to listen to someone who has gone through a loss is important to them, not just a business transaction, but a relational one.

taking the time to listen to someone who has gone through a loss is important to them, not just a business transaction, but a relational one.
Agreed.

I just had a client call this a.m. They wanted to "think about it" (buying disability insurance) back in November, solely due to price (DI is not cheap). I offer tons of ways to reduce cost but they were insistent. I don't push these folks so I said ok. I normally just send an email to these people every few months.

They had someone close to them get hit by a car in a parking lot and get seriously injured last week. Designed a plan and they want to move forward asap.

This person also just sat f2f with an insurance agent who presented disability coverage.

I asked why he didn't move forward with that agent and he said that I seemed more credible.

Apparently, a desk jockey can build relationships too.

Selling F2F and ☎️ 2 ☎️ are two different, but overlapping skill sets. "Kinda sorta" like going from an automatic to a stick shift. Except that when you're used to one way, the new way can feel like a stick shift for a while.

I sold F2F from 1985 to about 2000. Then I took an involuntary break. When I got back in the business, I went 2004 to 2016 selling almost exclusively by phone.

In 2016 I went back to F2F. I was intimidated for the first few weeks. I got my sea legs back, but I was surprised by how nervous I was.

I was acutely aware that they could see me now! I couldn't put the prospect on hold to do arithmetic or look stuff up, or roll my eyes if she said something stupid.

I don't recall getting nervous when I went from faces to voices.

Selling by phone takes more skill, partly because the prospect doesn't feel socially obligated to listen to a longer presentation.

But they can both be difficult for different reasons. Body language can be a powerful tool when F2F. But that cuts both ways. If you don't know how to use body language to communicate, you'll probably "say" the wrong things.

Which do you prefer, f2f or tele-sales?

I planned to take a short break this year.

So I slowed down for the first few months.

My ad cost per lead was about half (compared to 2019) during the first couple of COVID months, so I wonder if I made the right decision to stick with my plan.

Now that I'm back to full speed, my volume is about the same, but I'm selling 95% phone-to-phone instead of face-to-face. Last year the numbers were the opposite.

I'm loving it.

I want to go forward to this flavor of normal.

I hope you've upgraded to a headset by now Alston! :yes:

images

Depending upon the client, something like this might be in order.

Which do you prefer, f2f or tele-sales?

Tele-sales is much more efficient so long as my closing ratio doesn't suffer too much. That's probably the biggest variable. But I also wonder if I'll have higher persistency and more referrals from the people I met face to face.

Connecticut's a small state and I'm pretty good at avoiding rush hour. But I still have 30 to 90 minutes of driving time between calls. That's wasteful.

I should keep F2F in the mix for other reasons. It's too easy for me to become isolated.

I'm a competent empathic sales person, but I tend to be a loner. I'd rather write copy and computer code in my robe and boxers.

Having a few F2F appointments a month will force me to talk to people in person. Besides, the cat's heard all my jokes.

But from a business perspective, P2P wins. My closing ratio would have to plummet for F2F to put more money in my pocket. I can't keep up with my lead flow with all the hats I wear, if I spend too much time in the car.

I see it now, they are two different but overlapping skill sets. I want to keep doing both, but I don't have to do them equally. 10% F2F is probably enough to keep my skills sharp. And keep me from turning into a near hermit with Duck Dynasty style hair mass on my face.

Back