Let's Talk Cold Calling

The Orkin guy came to my house tonight asking if I wanted to buy their maintenence program to spray for bugs. I told him, "no, I do all the bug spraying myself. But, do you have any health insurance?"

The conversation went on from there. I wish I could say I sold him, but he is on his father's policy from Utah and Dad's in the biz.

Mine were always funeral policies not the pay for life burial plans. My typical sale would be around $10,000 face increasing at 4% annually. On a $10,000 policy they would pay $3,300 initially and then make two more annual payments of the same. They probably seem more like annuities to most life agents but they are a form of life insurance.

I don't even know what fire insurance is (I assume it's in case your house burns down) or why a life agent would sell it.

I can promise you I have sold some VERY affluent people from door knocking. Doctors, lawyers, and many middle-class people.

That makes a lot more sense. I had forgotten that in a previous post you had talked about selling burial plans. I can see people from all economic groups taking one of those.

The agents I knew who were working for a debit company and were collecting monthly premiums and selling life and fire insurance were working in the projects and said they really didn't know what was going to happen when they knocked on a door. They really had some strange stories to tell.

One time I went to deliver a policy to a woman who drove an OATS bus. She was ready to leave to pick up her group of seniors and told me to ride along. Just for fun I accepted her invitation. When she had a bus full she stopped and introduced me to everyone.

She then told them what a great deal I got her on her Med Supp and told me to come to the front of the bus and tell all of them. She started driving again and I stood in front and told them all about Med Supps like a tour guide would point out points of interest.

I kind of made a game out of it and a lot of fun with them. I bought them all lunch and we laughed about it. I sold four policies before the "trip" was over.

When I first got my license, a friend of mine lent me a CD set by Don Runge. He is apparently very experienced in marketing door-to-door mainly to seniors but I suppose the techniques could transfer to other demographics. His material is very funny and I thought very useful (I did not go the door-to-door route, though). You could probably google Don Runge and find his website (apparently www.leadguru.com). He is called the "Lead Guru" and specializes in working leads and "getting in the door". For an alternative and different approach, as has been mentioned a couple of times or so on this board, you might look at High Probability Selling at www.highprobsell.com
Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
P.S. I think the Don Runge set I heard was "Runge Live". If you can get your hands on a copy it will keep you in stitches and you might pick up a tip or two.

When I first got my license, a friend of mine lent me a CD set by Don Runge. He is apparently very experienced in marketing door-to-door mainly to seniors but I suppose the techniques could transfer to other demographics. His material is very funny and I thought very useful (I did not go the door-to-door route, though). You could probably google Don Runge and find his website (apparently www.leadguru.com). He is called the "Lead Guru" and specializes in working leads and "getting in the door". For an alternative and different approach, as has been mentioned a couple of times or so on this board, you might look at High Probability Selling at www.highprobsell.com
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the "lead" :biggrin: I will check out his site and see if I can find his CD.

This entire thread is bizarre.

If door to door works for selling insurance you will be the most sucessful insurance salesman in the US because noone else is doing it.

You shouldn't limit yourself to just insurance, there's a lot of things you can sell at the same time. You should get contracted with a security alarm company or possibly a contractor for the girl scouts, I heard their cookies go quick door to door.

I'm just teasing you, sort of.... but if you like it and it works do it.

However I would be concerned going inside anybody's house I had never talked to.

If you're willing to go door to door just put out doorhangers. Attatched. They work and they're 3 cents a pop.

Attachments

• Doorhanger August 2006.pdf
    174.3 KB · Views: 67
I just ordered Don Runge 5 1/2 live seminar. I got it $ 20.00 cheaper thru
Target Leads web site than if I would have ordered it thru his web site.

Back