Liberty Mutual Feedback Working for Them?

michiganagent

I'm being offered a position as an employee W2 with Liberty Mutual as a producer selling Life, Home and Auto.

Anyone have any feedback to share regarding Liberty Mutual?
Thanks

I didn't work for them, but had their auto insurance for a short period of time. I switched to them while working for a company that receives a discount from LM. After leaving the company the discount was dropped as well. My wife's PLPD insurance on her 98 Mercury Sable went up to $83/month. Clean record, decent credit, etc etc. I called to make sure we just had basic PLPD with state minimums to get the cheapest rate. We were told that is what we had.

This was before I entered the insurance biz. After learning about insurance and starting my job I looked up our policies and noticed she had 100/300 which obviously isn't state min. I called LM which they lied again and said we had state min. I called them on it and got the typical "uh well uh..." stutter response. Needless to say I'm not with them and wouldn't advise anyone to go to them.

I understand everyone has a similar story about every company. You may have great fortune selling their home and life. While working for State Farm, we more times than not beat LM on rate by a good margin.

I began my career with Liberty Mutual. Their training and support are top notch. Combined with excellent product and fair pricing ( in the Mid Atlantic region at least ) and I find them to be a great place to produce.

They have experienced high turnover in the recent years. Most folks start to get the independent bug if they are successful at Liberty. But, don't kid yourself. If things are going well at Liberty, you can make a fantastic living without the headaches associated with running an agency.

If I were going to work with any captive company ( State Farm, Nationwide, Allstate, etc.) it would most certainly be Liberty Mutual. The W2 employee position is really an asset. You don't really own anything with State Farm or Nationwide, just the right to renewals - but are still crippled with paying all the expenses. The Liberty Mutual organization has excellent benefits, pension, etc. Look long and hard. It could be a great career.

I left Liberty after two years of success with them. Took me almost four years after my departure to figure out that it really was an exceptional opportunity. Im happy now that I am building my own agency, but it was a tough lesson to learn.

I began my career with Liberty Mutual. Their training and support are top notch. Combined with excellent product and fair pricing ( in the Mid Atlantic region at least ) and I find them to be a great place to produce.

They have experienced high turnover in the recent years. Most folks start to get the independent bug if they are successful at Liberty. But, don't kid yourself. If things are going well at Liberty, you can make a fantastic living without the headaches associated with running an agency.

If I were going to work with any captive company ( State Farm, Nationwide, Allstate, etc.) it would most certainly be Liberty Mutual. The W2 employee position is really an asset. You don't really own anything with State Farm or Nationwide, just the right to renewals - but are still crippled with paying all the expenses. The Liberty Mutual organization has excellent benefits, pension, etc. Look long and hard. It could be a great career.

I left Liberty after two years of success with them. Took me almost four years after my departure to figure out that it really was an exceptional opportunity. Im happy now that I am building my own agency, but it was a tough lesson to learn.
Thanks for the feedback on your time there!

Bigindy, definitely sounds like you had a great experience there! If I hadn't recently made a commitment to Allstate I would seek them out.

I know my case with them is isolated to the producer/csr. They weren't doing the right thing. Sounds like if you are doing the right thing while working there it is a good opportunity!

I agree, you don't pay any bills and learn how to sell while having a base salary. They pay for your service staff/admin and provide all of the supplies. You hit the wall when you are producing and you realize your renewals are 1% instead of 8-15% as an indy.

Mediocore producers will have a great fit there but if you are in this long term, being indy with options and higher renewals is better. Liberty is a great place to start with no cash needed up front. I'd pick them over the other captives as well.

I agree, you don't pay any bills and learn how to sell while having a base salary. They pay for your service staff/admin and provide all of the supplies. You hit the wall when you are producing and you realize your renewals are 1% instead of 8-15% as an indy.

Mediocore producers will have a great fit there but if you are in this long term, being indy with options and higher renewals is better. Liberty is a great place to start with no cash needed up front. I'd pick them over the other captives as well.

I aspire to be mediocre. Have not quite hit that goal yet!!
Should I apply there?

Back