Life Insurance and HIV?

Mar 23, 2007

1. MrStan

MrStan Expert

This may be a controversial topic, but I have a feeling it may be something I come up against during a salescall.

Does anyone have any experience with any life carriers and their underwriting requirements on HIV status. I have been doing research online, and I am coming up with conflicting data.

MrStan, Mar 23, 2007
  2. johnrocks

johnrocks Guru

none of my carriers would take hiv

3. MrStan

MrStan Expert

That seems to be what I am finding. I located one company - but I can't seem to get in touch with them for more information.

MrStan, Mar 23, 2007
  4. johnrocks

johnrocks Guru

i'm not into life i sell mainly to seniors but what percentage of your population is hiv i've never occurred a single case even with more common diseases such as cancer and diabetes, it has not been a major roadblock to my sales over the years

5. MrStan

MrStan Expert

I am just planning ahead. It's not uncommon these days, and in some of my circles it may be encountered. I have just been trying to studay up on what I can - and be proactive just in case..

MrStan, Mar 23, 2007
  6. Winter_123

Winter_123 Guru

I don't know what the final answer is but as you pursue the question I think it is important to note that application questions (mostly as a matter of law) distinguish between being simply HIV positive and having ARC or AIDS.

Also, for consideration, I have been able to get accident-only life insurance for clients with AIDS. It of course is not ideal but it offers the client something for very little dollars and of course you never know when the client may in fact die in an accident, duh.

Winter

7. johnrocks

johnrocks Guru

some of these graded or guarantee issue final expense plans may be an option. some of these plans go up to 50k maybe more but that is what I believe my limit is

8. senior-advisor-indiana

senior-advisor-indiana Guru

State:
    Indiana
    I have ran into 1 person in 4 years that has HIV. Unless I decided to market to people with HIV, I wouldn't worry about it.

9. johnrocks

johnrocks Guru

now that's funny!!lol

10. Cenla Agent

Cenla Agent Guru

State:
    Louisiana
    Unless it is a guarantee issue situation my guess is that you won't be able to write someone with HIV.