Life Insurance and HIV?

This may be a controversial topic, but I have a feeling it may be something I come up against during a salescall.

Does anyone have any experience with any life carriers and their underwriting requirements on HIV status. I have been doing research online, and I am coming up with conflicting data.

Stan, if there is one thing I have learned since starting in the insurance business it is to not waste time with people who have bad health. Unless you want to specialize in Impaired Risk cases (and all the frustrations involved) you will just wind up with a bunch of applications that are declined.

Writing a bunch of apps for people in bad health just gives you a false sense of security because you have so much stuff in the pipeline, when it all gets declined it just sets you back. You will have enough clients failing to tell you about their health history and falling into the risk category without searching them out.

Oh, I realize that - I didn't think of searching them out... I just wondered "in case" - It's one of those things ya know - if it happens - I'd like to have the answers to give. Of course marketing will be directed to those in good health - but those in poor health seem to be the ones that need/want it more.. funny how that works.

HIV Carrier

To all you agents that think HIV and related health issues are not important, wake up! It is out there and growing everyday. The strongest laws in HIPPA are written around this subject. That is why you don't hear much about it.

The senior community is the fastest growing segment in HIV. The reason is the passing of a spouse or divorce. People dont think that it could ever happen to them and they get back in the dating game. Enough said.

I have found carrier that will issue a graded benefit. Check out Presidential Life Insurance Company. Guaranteed issue and no medical exam. The face amount will go up to $50,000.00.

I have found carrier that will issue a graded benefit. Check out Presidential Life Insurance Company. Guaranteed issue and no medical exam. The face amount will go up to $50,000.00.[/quote]

I have found that Mutual of Omaha's Guaranteed Issues WL Graded Benefit plan has more competitive rates compared to Presidential.

Weird.

I just had a guy call me who is HIV positive 10 years, controlled on medication. Wants life coverage. Told him I'd research it and get back to him. Never knew anyone would cover it as I've never ran into this question before. I always assumed it was a "no go".

There certainly are companies out there that offer guaranteed issue whole life policies with no health questions. Benefits are limited the first 2 or 3 policy years and face amounts are usually less than $30k, however.

What state is your client in and what age?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Weird.

I just had a guy call me who is HIV positive 10 years, controlled on medication. Wants life coverage. Told him I'd research it and get back to him. Never knew anyone would cover it as I've never ran into this question before. I always assumed it was a "no go".

And Corporate Death you should start a new thread. A poster above us bumped this 4.5 year old thread.

Last edited:
Although there maybe some life insurance providers that may consider applicants with HIV, they do it for limited time periods every now and then. The trick here is to conduct as much research as possible.

Back