Life Insurance - The Whole Story Part 1

Larry Tew

Guru
1000 Post Club
Raleigh
I'm about 80% finished with this re-write. I have a cover page and a few additional sections but while I'm finishing them I'd like to get some critiques. Try to look at it from a consumer's point of view.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Attachments

• Life Insurance - The Whole Story part 1 for upload.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 95
I'm curious, how do you plan to use it?

It's rather lengthy, not that you could shorten it to do the subject justice.

It could be its own booklet or 'free report'. Or something you deliver along with the policy to help reinforce their buying decision?

Larry,

It really depends on how you are going to use this. I can assure you that while many of us here on the forum can follow and understand the concepts and ides, the general public will be like deer in headlights.

I have found over the years that it is best to provide very short and concise case studies to get my point across. You'll lose people if you hand this over or email it.

What could work better is to break it into 10 single ideas or points you want to make and deliver them in a drip email. Or, break it down into smaller bits, like first term versus permanent. Then the benefits of whole life versus IUL, or something like that.

We sometimes understand our products too well and forget how foreign it is to others. I like what you are trying to do, just think smaller doses would help.

Thank you for sharing this.

I agree with NWBenefitProvider.

I would probably take his idea of "slicing and dicing" and make it into "Why ____ would be important" or "How could _____ benefit me?" and illustrate through hypothetical examples or stories.

For example: "Why would I want tax-free versus tax-deferred for funding my retirement?" Then proceed to answer the question as simply as possible - preferably on one page per question to make it easy to read and digest.

Just some thoughts.

Thanks for the feedback DHK and NW. The purpose of the piece is to support efforts to schedule initial meetings and provide information to support my recommendation or help them firm up their decisions in their minds.

For me, the client process begins in earnest with a 60 to 90 minute meeting where we discuss their general preferences and mindset, show them visually what I do and how it may benefit them, tell them how I'm compensated / what it costs them, and assign a financial questionnaire for homework.

Even with a client introduction, that can be a lot for a prospect to say yes to. So to make it easier for them to say yes to a visit, I may offer the 30-minute coffee preview meeting, or to make it even easier I may suggest a brief phone chat to determine if there's a basis for moving forward.

I want this article / report / booklet to support the life insurance portion of the process or if life insurance is all we're discussing, I want the piece to be a resource that substantiates and supports that conversation.

I have some other short pieces but I want this to be more comprehensive. I'm considering a table of contents so that the reader could go right to a section for reference if they choose.

I might address the length to the reader on the intro / cover page. I plan to edit and tighten it, but for now I'm hoping to get opinions on the actual content.

Okay, I think I get where you're coming from in how you want to use this. I know that MoneyTrax is all about client education, and that you want this to fit into your process.

My problem, is that (as a consumer), is this a trade-journal article? It can seem to read like one - aimed at agents trying to explain life insurance to consumers.

Your article starts out with your position: "Life Insurance is a versatile and powerful financial tool." My first reaction is that everything you state going forward is meant to justify your position in my mind. You're trying to sell me on why "you're right" and how I need to listen to you.

If I were to write something like this, I think I'd use a title like: "Everyone Wants These Benefits In Their Long-Term Financial Plan... They Just Don't Know Where To Find Them". Your table of contents can reference all the various aspects of the benefits and how to properly position life insurance in their mind... and get them curious to draw them into the story you're trying to weave.

In essence, you know the phrase "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." This article may make me feel that you're trying to drown me with your point of view. Instead, I would find a way to use this - or another format - to help 'salt my oats' so I would want to drink.

----------

I want this article / report / booklet to support the life insurance portion of the process or if life insurance is all we're discussing, I want the piece to be a resource that substantiates and supports that conversation.

"Referencing yourself" is probably not the strongest reference you can make during a client meeting. I'm sure that you're going to add a page of references with IRS Tax Code, IRS Publications, etc., to help show that they don't have to take your 'written word' at face value. Anyone can write anything, but being able to back it up with credible references will help show that you're taking a more 'academic' approach to your writing.

Not long ago, I was taking some business courses. The assignment was to write a paper on any subject that I want to be (or am) a subject matter expert. I chose to do my composition paper on the "Never Reported Benefits of Permanent Life Insurance". I had about 3 pages of references that I cited to give more credibility to my paper. (Yes, I got an A in that class.)

The more references you can give, the more weight one can give to your writing that you're not just "making it all up".

Last edited:
Larry,

I know I will sound like a parrot but I also agree with DHK and NW about length, usage, content and target market. The principles you talk about are spot on but the average person is going to put it down thinking "why should I read this it's boring". You could break it down and use the "blocks" as newsletter type "touches" or "updates" to your current clientele and people who you have had initial contact.

Also I would watermark those pages so no one can "easily borrow your work" without your permission.

I'm about 80% finished with this re-write. I have a cover page and a few additional sections but while I'm finishing them I'd like to get some critiques. Try to look at it from a consumer's point of view.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Is there a link to this somewhere? How can I read it? I'm on my phone.

Sent from my IPhone

"For me, the client process begins in earnest with a 60 to 90 minute meeting where we discuss their general preferences and mindset, show them visually what I do and how it may benefit them, tell them how I'm compensated / what it costs them, and assign a financial questionnaire for homework. Even with a client introduction, that can be a lot for a prospect to say yes to. So to make it easier for them to say yes to a visit, I may offer the 30-minute coffee preview meeting, or to make it even easier I may suggest a brief phone chat to determine if there's a basis for moving forward."
I need to learn how to do all this, this is why I'm considering going captive soon.

Sent from my IPhone

----------

Can't you see the attachment at the bottom of his original post?

No I can't I'm on the iPhone app, ill check it out later on my pc when I get home

Sent from my IPhone

Back