Life insurance

Oh my, you depend upon a GA to inform you! Just how much life insurance are you selling?

Let's not go there, OK? Must every thread become a food-fight here? Really. James, what is your real agenda from your post? I know what it is. You want to make yourself look good by making someone else look bad. That's a great sales technique. How is that working for you these days?

Son, you run your business the way you want to and I will run mine the way I want to... and we'll both be happy. OK? And if you are not OK, may I suggest that you simply keep your criticism to yourself and at least ACT like a professional. Can you do that?

Jeez, Louise some of you people act as if God put you on earth simply to be a pain in the a$$.

Al

Last edited by a moderator:
Geez Al, take a breather!

Life insurance is complicated. Unbeleiveably complicated! Unless you're selling term.

The person originating the post was asking a very simple question, it turns into complexities, and people get their panties in a bunch. Don't worry about it.

I don't even know how I know so much about life insurance, but believe me, I am the world's biggest skeptic on it because I believe ultimately the insurance companies don't really care. They are still betting, whether term or permanent, on your client not maintaining the policy. As an agent, you must do your due diligence. It can take many hours to analyze and review permanent quotes.

People who are used to having clients make decisions quickly will be better off focusing on easier products to sell, such as health or term.

And now we're back to that poster about the 5.5 million term...c'est la vie.

I know people say that GAs are a rip, but so far that has not been my experience with the three I've worked with... Crump, CPS, and Brokers Alliance. All of them know their products and have been very helpful. And floating ideas before an experienced GA can often lead to strategies that many agents are not all that familiar with... such as buy-sell. I look at the GAs as "consultants" and I think if you can find a couple of good ones you are that much ahead of the game.

Al

Al, is this the same Crump that you did not like a few months ago when they were still Bisys? What made you change your mind?

Rick

Al, is this the same Crump that you did not like a few months ago when they were still Bisys? What made you change your mind?

Rick

They hired a new guy in my local office (I think from CPS but I'm not sure) who is more pro-active. Since they are now Crump and a private company instead of part of Citi and having to answer to shareholders, they have really (re)focused on agent services... like they return calls (what a concept!) and they initiate calls asking me to come in and meet with them to learn new products. They also have good webinars.

What impressed me is that they held a large road show at a nice country club (not mine) two months ago and the regional guy came in and said without mincing words or duck and cover that Bisys had $#@!up the past few years and that they were "begging" us for another chance. The hundred or so agents in the room, including myself, were impressed that the guy didn't try to snow us. He took responsibility for the company screwing up. How many times do you see that?

While they dispute it, I still think they are way more interested in the 10-man agency who does a lot of life. Can't blame them. Anyway I prefer to work with smaller companies so I mostly use Brokers Alliance (on advice from several people on this board).

I do mostly small, piddly $100-200K 20/30 year term or "easy to understand" UL or WL for individuals who are turned down by Colonial groups I have... OR I sell Fidelity Life's "Rapid Decision" to IFP cases if they have no life coverage.

I really enjoy selling life products and I plan to prospect life to small biz (along with group health) instead of my previous concentration on IFP.

It's amazing how many people out there have zero life coverage... and rates are very low. Last week I wrote a single 35 year old gal rated up for bi-polar for 30 year level term for $430 a year. (She wanted to make sure her three beloved horses were taken care of should she suddenly die... made her mom the bene.... but she thinks she will marry later this year so mom may be 'out' and new hubby "in.")

What I like about life is that you get involved in people's lives and can get to know them and help them. I become more than their agent but their friend. I don't do the whole financial planning thing... not qualified. I stay within my abilities and refer out if I feel I'm past those bounds. With me its just "the people." I don't really care if I sell them or not... I work for the referral and if I get a sale so much the better. That's how I see it. YMMV :yes:

Al

Let's not go there, OK? Must every thread become a food-fight here? Really. James, what is your real agenda from your post? I know what it is. You want to make yourself look good by making someone else look bad. That's a great sales technique. How is that working for you these days?

Son, you run your business the way you want to and I will run mine the way I want to... and we'll both be happy. OK? And if you are not OK, may I suggest that you simply keep your criticism to yourself and at least ACT like a professional. Can you do that?

Jeez, Louise some of you people act as if God put you on earth simply to be a pain in the a$$.

Al

Let us not go where? That GA's within the Insurance Industry is a good thing or bad thing? Or that anyone can come along and make such statements as I know people say that GAs are a rip, but so far that has not been my experience with the three I've worked with... so I ask a question, okay maybe I should of ask it in a better way. So, let me ask it this way, of the three GA's you are "NOW" talking highly about, how have they been able to help you and how many sales are we talking about. I mean if they are really helping and sales are numerous I'm sure everyone would be interested and, I'm sure the three amigos wouldn't mind the mention of their great agencies!

4 years into this industry and I farm out my perm life cases to a friend of mine. I can handle term but I would need intensive on-going training to handle perm.

Geez Al, take a breather!

Life insurance is complicated. Unbeleiveably complicated! Unless you're selling term.

OK, maybe I was a bit curt with James, but have you noticed in the past 30 days or so how contentious this board gets as threads grow? It's like everyone has skin in the game and it is their way... or the highway.

A guy like James (whom I respect for his professional knowledge about LI) comes on here and with one line insinuates that I'm an ***... well I'm NOT an ***... I'm 60 years old, I've been self-employed for the past 35 of those years and I know what I know and I know what I don't know. I may not know health insurance like others here, but my dad was a life insurance salesman until he was about 80. I grew up in a "life insurance" family, worked in his office as a boy, etc. (My dad was exactly like Robert Young in "Father Knows Best" if you are looking for a 'reference' to understand where I'm coming from.)

Had James posted "I would suggest that you not use GAs for advice because of yada, yada, yada" that would have been fine... because it would have been instructive. What he wrote instead was insulting.

I grew up in New York and you %$#@# with me and I'm going to $#@! you right back. :D You want someone who turns the other cheek? Call Huckabilly campaign headquarters. :laugh:

OK, James. I'm sorry if I was too harsh with you. But there was no reason to insinuate that I'm an ***. Face it, everyone on this board already believes that I am one... so why beat a dead horse!:biggrin:

Al

So, let me ask it this way, of the three GA's you are "NOW" talking highly about, how have they been able to help you and how many sales are we talking about. I mean if they are really helping and sales are numerous I'm sure everyone would be interested

I rather doubt that. You are just looking for a fight. I'm happy in how I run my little life biz... and for some strange reason you can't deal with that.

What does it matter HOW they have helped me? I feel that I've been helped. But you feel that I've been "taken." Well, that's fine. Feel the way you want... but give me the same courtesy.

I don't want the debate of whether or not I'm "doing it" right or not. And I don't want to debate whether my clients are being "cheated" or not getting good service. I do my best not to speculate on how others should run their practice, I would advise you to do the same.

I'm not asking you or anyone else to do as I do. Do what you freakin' want. I don't care. But please do me the favor and get off your high-horse and accept the fact that none of us are as smart as you are, none of us will ever be as smart as you are... and that there is nothing you can do to change that! :yes:

Why can't we all just get along here? Why do so many people here believe that only THEY own the "holy grail" of selling insurance? May I suggest that some of you dial-down your ego a bit? It will make for a better board... and a more enjoyable experience for the rest of us.

Thank you.

Elvis has left the building.

Al

Wow, this discussion has gone astray. I use a GA, they pay me top level commissions, help shop my cases, pay me bonuses, follow up on cases, track aps's, set up exams, and the owner has alot of experience in advance case design. In addition, they are in my town so I can go face to face with them if I need . I have a great experience and in no way feel they ripping me off. I do have some direct contracts, like with Jackson National, Principal, Ohio National and a few more. Life is good, go Packers.

.... I use a GA, they pay me top level commissions, help shop my cases, pay me bonuses, follow up on cases, track aps's, set up exams, and the owner has alot of experience in advance case design. I.... I have a great experience and in no way feel they ripping me off. .... Life is good, go Packers.

What he said.... except the Pack. I grew up watching YA Tittle, Frank Gifford, Sam Huff and other hall-of-famers play so I have to go with the Giants. However in real life I'm a more of a Jets fan since they played in Flushing Meadow (with the Mets) and I could easily get to the games via the Long Island Railroad. They've never been the same since Broadway Joe left them. We all believed when he said before the Super Bowl "We'll win the game. I guarantee you." 1969... year I graduated college, Viet Nam was killing 10,000 kids a year, the hated Nixon was president... we needed a hero.

Al

Back