Life vs P&C

MichaelJM,
If I go the P&C way I was thinking in two to three years start making the transition to either commercial or into equine. I don't know about either one enough yet to make an educated decision.

Equine? Are you in the Bluegrass? How is most equine insurance written? Is it a specialty or is it written by the same P&C agent who insures the farm or car?

MichaelJM,
If I go the P&C way I was thinking in two to three years start making the transition to either commercial or into equine. I don't know about either one enough yet to make an educated decision.
Mag,

Commercial is the way you want to go eventually. However, you need experience and proper training. One false move there could cost you hundreds of thousands in commission. When I say we big boys I am refering to the unwritten collective of egotistical insurance brainiacs who spend their entire life learning the insurance market for commercial liability and property. So beware, you have to go in educated with both eyes open.

XRAC- Yes I am in the bluegrass state, however northern, and from what I have seen most of the equine is written by people who specialize in it and the agency that i am thinking of starting with specializes in commercial with lines in personal and health. I have started another post to try to learn more. I may find that making the switch to commercial may be an easier move.

MichaelJM. I understood what you originally meant, I use to run a small store for 4 years and realized all the stuff that my agent understood that I needed. This is the same agent that i am actually looking to work with. There are so many variables with commercial that i think one would need to master the basics of p&c before trying to wrap their arms around it.

Thanks for all the post.

I worked 5 years with MetLife, 7 years with a captive P/C. Now 1+ years as Independent P/C & Life. Everyone has their niche but as a general suggestion I would suggest P/C for the steady renewals and you can also sell life to those clients and do your other life insurance marketing.

Just to chime in, sell both. The one you choose is your right foot. ( assuming your right handed ) And you should know enough to offer and makes some sales to your existing block of business. So, I sell health in the worksite format as an independant agent. And in the second year review I offer to quote their commercial PC. If you do them a good job with your "right foot", even if you are not price competitive, they'll go with you because THEY TRUST YOU!!! Price is soooo over rated!

XRAC- Yes I am in the bluegrass state, however northern, and from what I have seen most of the equine is written by people who specialize in it and the agency that i am thinking of starting with specializes in commercial with lines in personal and health. I have started another post to try to learn more. I may find that making the switch to commercial may be an easier move.......

I am a native of KY who went to school in Lexington. My most interesting college class was a course in animal diseases taught by the state veterinarian. He was very entertaining and told stories I still remember.

Just to chime in, sell both. The one you choose is your right foot. ( assuming your right handed ) And you should know enough to offer and makes some sales to your existing block of business. So, I sell health in the worksite format as an independant agent. And in the second year review I offer to quote their commercial PC. If you do them a good job with your "right foot", even if you are not price competitive, they'll go with you because THEY TRUST YOU!!! Price is soooo over rated!

I think this good advice. Get in the door the first year. Then go after more and more business in the following years.

I sell both. I deal with commercial insurance. I prospect them and they give me a chance to give them a quote, everybody is looking to save money for there business. If you sell thats great if not thats ok too, because I have gained a contact to sell life, health, longterm care, final expense, annuity, and other types of insurance. PC is a door opener for my life and health business, mortgage protection.

chiming in along the same subject, will it be more difficult to sell life with our economy spiraling downward, as it isn't as much a "need" for the majority of consumers as health or P&C? just thinking out loud?

Back