Lifetime Max

I can see preemies racking up the charges - especially if 2 or 3 months is required in the hospital. Two of my nieces are NICU RNs at major hospitals so I'll ask them if they have any knowledge about the daily charges for NICU (neo-natal intensive care)

my twins.....2 to 3 weeks.....$250,000

I can see preemies racking up the charges - especially if 2 or 3 months is required in the hospital. Two of my nieces are NICU RNs at major hospitals so I'll ask them if they have any knowledge about the daily charges for NICU (neo-natal intensive care)

Some years ago, my father contracted Guillain-Barre Syndrome from a flu shot. It turned out to be his final illness. He was in the ICU of a local hospital for six months----he set a record for ICU patients. Most either recover in a couple of weeks or go out feet first. They finally moved him to a private room and he died from sepsis within a week. His hospital bill was astronomical----their computer couldn't even handle the computation. However, he was on Medicare, thank God, and all the charges were taken care of except for the telephone charge in his room. I disputed that charge since the paralysis of the G-B Syndrome left him unable to speak from the very early days of the disease. It was abated.

my twins.....2 to 3 weeks.....$250,000

My granddaughter, born 2 months early, then had spinal menengitis for another month, 3 months in NICU, $1,000,000+.

It happens.

And we wonder why pregnant women / men can't get individual coverage.

By the way, NICU by itself runs between $8K-$10K a day at full list price, no idea what it gets repriced to, except in the case of medicare, then its $900 a day (which the hospital loses money at). Some parts of the world might be cheaper. Doctors / drugs / diapers are additional cost.

Dan

And we wonder why pregnant women / men can't get individual coverage.
In most states they can, particularly if they are poor - it is called Medicaid.

In Texas most uninsured and pregnant get a free ride, why buy insurance if the government lets you be irresponsible and have a free ride?

Side note I DO support individual maternity mandated in all states. When mandated (with waiting periods allowed) the rate impact is minimal.

I am not a fan of mandates but this goes right with my A-Z Standardization idea for individual health - maybe plan D would cover maternity, something like that...

I had an individual plan with maternity and they dropped the maternity portion about 3 weeks before my wife was pregnant with our first child - Sti can guess the plan.

On our second child I cash paid because my staff really didn't qualify for group and was unstable, about time we setup a group my wife was pregnant and they loaded the group - I waited until we delivered to get the group going with no load.

Now my wife is on BCBS group coverage which is great , however I am two kids too late.

We should have just went on Medicaid, I recommend it to everyone I talk with. ;)

In most states they can, particularly if they are poor - it is called Medicaid.

In Texas most uninsured and pregnant get a free ride, why buy insurance if the government lets you be irresponsible and have a free ride?

Yep, true here in California. We also have AIM, for those above the Medicaid numbers (Aid for Infants and Mothers), which operates on a sliding scale, but basically the full pregnancy will cost $500. Not a bad plan.

Dan

One of the reasons we have "45 million uninsured" is because the government has programs and a system to encourage and reward irresponsibility.

Of course no one will talk about it, but when you are 3 months pregnant never had insurance in your life, possibly here illegally and there is a program to cover you - I rest my case.

Back on topic I hear all the time UA and other "scheduled benefits" plans that have $50K or $100k "per incident" limits being spun as "no lifetime max".

Whenever I hear a client say I found a plan with no lifetime max - the red flags go up.

In MD no one needs to have any insurance. If you get diagnosed with something just apply to MHIP. Why have any coverage at all?

The risky part is incurring a charge for an emergency - car accident, off to shock trauma and you're screwed.

However, if you want to roll that dice that you won't a major accident then have nothing. Get diagnosed with cancer? MHIP will have cards in your hands within 2 weeks.

Back