Little suggestions. Diamonds of the trade!

I have gotten in the habit of taking a cell picture of the clients on F2F meetings. I lay the license on the app then snap the pic. It does not take more than a few seconds and I can verify the spelling of the name, Date of birth and I can prove I was there.

On phone deals, I get quite a few texted in as well. Sometimes with a copy of a check. When I am looking at the client notes the picture refreshes who they are. It seems to make the call more conversational.

If you're looking to use digital sales to offer life to your existing book (especially during these crazy times), you might want to check out Ethos.

Ethos is a new life insurance provider that offers majority of applicants an exam free process with same day turnarounds, competitive pricing, A+ paper, and zero case management for agents. Big commissions/incentives.

Email [email protected] to learn more.

:skeptical:... hey Joe do you know the rules around here?

I have gotten in the habit of taking a cell picture of the clients on F2F meetings. I lay the license on the app then snap the pic. It does not take more than a few seconds and I can verify the spelling of the name, Date of birth and I can prove I was there.

On phone deals, I get quite a few texted in as well. Sometimes with a copy of a check. When I am looking at the client notes the picture refreshes who they are. It seems to make the call more conversational.

I have wanted to do that for while now. And using the lic. pic.as a way to get a photo is genius. You think that up on your own or borrowed it?

I have wanted to do that for while now. And using the lic. pic.as a way to get a photo is genius. You think that up on your own or borrowed it?

I just started to do it one day. It has come in handy a few times where a client signed differently on a form or signed with an X, Also had a Banker's agent try to replace me by convincing the client's daughter that I did not meet with her dad. Many times I lay the checkbook and license on the app and take the pic. If they have their SS card out that also.

Mostly it helps me years later to remember them as a person, not just a policy number. Maybe the same reason agents put their faces and or families on their cards and websites.

Last edited:
Learn to listen. Listen with your ears, your body posture, your facial expression, your eyes, the tone of your voice, the position of your pen hand, and the in questions you ask. Spend time focusing on trying to understand your prospect so that when they become your client they remember you as some one who listens.
When I started "listening", my closing % doubled. :yes:

Honestly smells... as a matter of fact, it smells great!

Dishonesty stinks... and I mean it stinks so much, that if your not a very, very good liar... you may reek of it.

So don't... lie that is.

My father once told me when I was young, that if I was going to be a good liar, I was going to have to have a very good memory. I don't have the greatest of memories, so I don't lie because I won't remember what I said and to whom I said it to.

If you don't know something... let the client know your not sure, but even though you don't know, you know who to call that will know. Amazing how often this helps to reassure a client... not that you know everything, but that you don't bs.

Solidifying sales... only what sticks pays.

I tend to think that solidifying a sale begins before you even meet your prospect for the first time. You won't keep them all. To be honest, some of them you don't want to keep to begin with. I'll save that for another time.

Proper solidification of a sale begins with a game plan... not client.

How you approach, present and move a client toward a decision needs to have direction and purpose. What is your follow-up plan? Do you send out a letter after the sale to let them know you will be in touch. Do you call your client once they have been approved? Do you deliver your policies, or do contact them after the policy has arrived?

A short had written personal note is GOLD! I use a generic letter based off the type of sale, with enough room at the end for a hand written note. I try to make each one personal.

Do you know why they just purchased a policy... not because they are going to die, but because they are going to die and they don't want Sally and Bobby having to pay for something they can't afford. Perhaps they want to go crispy and the rest be left to the grandkids.

Find out the why. Amazing how the line of questioning here often reassures the client in their own words why they are doing what they are doing.

Learn to become a verbal artist.

Our job is to paint pictures for folks. We are to become masters at the trade of skillfully using well placed words, well timed pauses, and thought provoking phrases to brush upon the canvas of our prospect's mind scenes that evoke emotions. Fears that need to eased and a sense of security that needs to be felt.

We do this by asking very purposeful questions.

How wold it make you feel if knew your agent could keep your family safe from a coming financial storm?

A business card story...

After every sale, I take a card of mine with a magnetic back and attach it to the freezer door of the new client's refrigerator. As I place the card on the freezer door I say something like this, "Now Mildred when you go to get ice cream you will remember me each time."

The goal is to be front and center as often as possible so my clients "know" who their insurance man is.

Now for my story...

This past week I was contacted by a daughter and grandson of a client. The mother/grandmother had passed and both of them had shown up at her apartment from out of state. They weren't even sure if mother/grandmother had life insurance. But... my card was stuck to the fridge so they called me, and guess what... she did. When I stopped by to make the initial contact with them, I found they had already packed away the paper work, but I knew what I was looking for.

Business cards are more than a piece of paper, if you use them for more than a piece of paper.

Back