Little suggestions. Diamonds of the trade!

A business card story...

After every sale, I take a card of mine with a magnetic back and attach it to the freezer door of the new client's refrigerator. As I place the card on the freezer door I say something like this, "Now Mildred when you go to get ice cream you will remember me each time."

The goal is to be front and center as often as possible so my clients "know" who their insurance man is.

Now for my story...

This past week I was contacted by a daughter and grandson of a client. The mother/grandmother had passed and both of them had shown up at her apartment from out of state. They weren't even sure if mother/grandmother had life insurance. But... my card was stuck to the fridge so they called me, and guess what... she did. When I stopped by to make the initial contact with them, I found they had already packed away the paper work, but I knew what I was looking for.

Business cards are more than a piece of paper, if you use them for more than a piece of paper.
I have only left one of the magnetic cards that I order due to the fact my email is misspelled on them.. A few months I received a call from a young man wanting to buy "burial" insurance.. I made an appointment with him and when I met him to take the app I asked, "why did you contact me?" He told me, "Your card is on my Grandma's fridge." Batting 100% on referrals from the magnet cards.. However,apparently I have subscribed to the old saying, "if it works, don't do it again"... :twitchy:

I have only left one of the magnetic cards that I order due to the fact my email is misspelled on them.. A few months I received a call from a young man wanting to buy "burial" insurance.. I made an appointment with him and when I met him to take the app I asked, "why did you contact me?" He told me, "Your card is on my Grandma's fridge." Batting 100% on referrals from the magnet cards.. However,apparently I have subscribed to the old saying, "if it works, don't do it again"... :twitchy:
You ought to take $20 of your commission from that sale and order some new cards that have the correct e-mail address on them. :yes:

I have gotten 2 or 3 client calls lately were they said something along the lines of 'hey Wino, just checking if you are still in business. Haven't heard from you in a while'. Ouch. In some cases that would be true. Once you have X number of clients it gets more difficult to stay in touch. At least that is my excuse. Truthfully, that is bullchit. With today's technology it could be automated.

Anyway, what I find that helps is of course a file not that I spoke with them a year or two ago and we spoke about the new truck they bought. But also an email or text that I can forward or reply to that shows we did communicate. It tends to reestablish that I am their agent. Their guy.

I make emails and text searchable by adding their and the insureds name. I try to keep the emails and text in the same thread. Which can be a challenge since I write the same people multiple times over the years.

However, I use an RE: a lot. Even in text. Example - 'RE: Martha Garcia, your mother Rosie Jones Life insurance quotes - Hi Martha,......' that way a year or so from now when I speak to one of them I can pull up our text conversations. While I have them on the phone.

Last edited:
Sale hard, softly. When I was cutting teeth in this business, I was trained by a very good, door to door, cold call salesman whose name was Dave. He had something he passed along to me that I am sure came from somewhere else (there is nothing new under the sun). It went like this, "Be pleasantly persistent".

Look for ways to sale, sale, sale while appearing to listen, understand, and relax. This is a skill that takes time for most folks to learn, but it can be learned. Start by relaxing, then use language that drives home the importance of immediate action.

Sale hard, softly. When I was cutting teeth in this business, I was trained by a very good, door to door, cold call salesman whose name was Dave. He had something he passed along to me that I am sure came from somewhere else (there is nothing new under the sun). It went like this, "Be pleasantly persistent".

Look for ways to sale, sale, sale while appearing to listen, understand, and relax. This is a skill that takes time for most folks to learn, but it can be learned. Start by relaxing, then use language that drives home the importance of immediate action.
Didn't know Rearden was that old... :)

Never be afraid to be pointed or firm in a very matter of fact way.

This past week had an appointment, a solid one. Got to the house and the gal's boy friend comes to the door and said she had left. Firmly and in a matter-of-fact I responded, "But WE had an appointment." He grabs his phone gives her a call and hands it to me. She said she would be right there. Guy lets me in and we sit around and talk about fishing till she shows up about 15 min. later. About an hour later I leave the home with $1425 in FYC and the address (with appointment) of the boy friend (trucker) for pre agreed FYC of $1800.

Firm in a "matter-of-fact" way, is a way professionals make it their business to be professional.

I think the most important part starts with education and then finding someone to show you the first steps into becoming successful in such a promising business! After getting the right education it's then a matter of connections and knowledge. I have found this to apply on all my ventures tried. The most recent has been this crypto scalping mania that has made me some good money. I have tried to learn alone some things when it comes to cryptocurrencies as it's the future of our transactions. I'm not interested in buying Bitcoin though, What I have managed to do is scalp crypto terminal alerts that are 100% accurate and allow you to catch the squeezes of the market.

Last edited:
Back