Looking For A Mentor/Coach !

Johnnymc

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I am a fairly new agent who is having moderate to average success in the business as a new guy. I feel as if I could be doing much better with some hand-holding/training. I'm not interested in Webinars or Books..I've done that and they do work to a point but what I'm really in search of is a seasoned agent who would let me tag along on appointments, cold calling, door knocking, networking, prospecting, etc...anyone have any suggestions on where I could start my search? I read the posts of all of the seasoned, successful agents on this forum but what I really want is to see what that good performance looks like up close and personal. I'm near Pittsburgh and I really don't know any wildly successful agents that I could ask.

Thank You
John

Re: Mentor/Coach

I am a fairly new agent who is having moderate to average success in the business as a new guy. I feel as if I could be doing much better with some hand-holding/training. I'm not interested in Webinars or Books..I've done that and they do work to a point but what I'm really in search of is a seasoned agent who would let me tag along on appointments, cold calling, door knocking, networking, prospecting, etc...anyone have any suggestions on where I could start my search? I read the posts of all of the seasoned, successful agents on this forum but what I really want is to see what that good performance looks like up close and personal. I'm near Pittsburgh and I really don't know any wildly successful agents that I could ask.

Thank You
John

Hey John!
I was in your position awhile back. Lucky for me my brothers an established agent. But i did do some DD before i swallowed my ego and asked him to train me lol.
Just google all your local insurance agents specific to whatever field you are in. There should be a ton show up on google, go thru 50 dials and be friendly to them over the phone and go from there. pick there brain; we all know ppl like to talk about themselves. Then transition into going onto ride-alongs. Hey you might have to act interested in taking his MGA contracts lol...

Hey John!
I was in your position awhile back. Lucky for me my brothers an established agent. But i did do some DD before i swallowed my ego and asked him to train me lol.
Just google all your local insurance agents specific to whatever field you are in. There should be a ton show up on google, go thru 50 dials and be friendly to them over the phone and go from there. pick there brain; we all know ppl like to talk about themselves. Then transition into going onto ride-alongs. Hey you might have to act interested in taking his MGA contracts lol...

Thanks for the reply..
I guess what I'm in need of is an independent insurance salesman "bootcamp". I want to excel...but I'm used to getting paid no matter what (I was a salaried restaurant manager).

What lines of insurance are you looking for help with?

I've been doing Individual/Group Health/DI/Life and have just been certified to handle Senior Products.

First piece of advice is that you should pick a specialty to market too. It doesn't need to be horribly specific, but group/individual, senior products and life insurance are all fairly specialized. Even within the senior products market most folks either focus on supps or FE or LTC, etc.

What got you into the industry?

First piece of advice is that you should pick a specialty to market too. It doesn't need to be horribly specific, but group/individual, senior products and life insurance are all fairly specialized. Even within the senior products market most folks either focus on supps or FE or LTC, etc.

What got you into the industry?

Hi Josh

A friend of mine knew that I was not happy managing restaurants and she brought an opportunity to my attention. The 2 problems in being independent are getting used to only getting paid when I produce something (as opposed to a salaried position) and the lack of structured training which would help me develop better habits and working smart.

You might end up regretting the move ;)

Honestly, the health insurance industry is extremely competitive and volatile right now and selling life insurance has a huge learning curve. What advice did she offer and is there a reason she isn't mentoring you?

Thanks for the reply..
I guess what I'm in need of is an independent insurance salesman "bootcamp". I want to excel...but I'm used to getting paid no matter what (I was a salaried restaurant manager).

What part of Pennsylvania are you in? I am also a new agent getting started. I live in the Pittsburgh area. I use to be a retail/restaurant manager and made the jump into this business as well. It's been hard finding help and training. I have accomplished alot on my own and this site and everyone one here has been really helpful. If your local and interested in joining forces let me know. Even if it's to vent and encourage each other. My e-mail is [email protected].

Back