Looking for Feedback on a Sales Script

Travis Price

Guru
1000 Post Club
Hello all,

I've attached my first crack at a sales script. I'm currently gearing up for selling Med Supps over the phone in my underwear to make $15000 a week (jk). My first appointment just came through e-mail and I'm still waiting for my second.

Anyways, I pulled from a bunch of different sources and developed a sales script for me to follow. I'll be using telemarketed leads. I'm realistic in knowing that I probably will only close 10-15% starting off. I'd greatly appreciate any constructive feedback and/or thumbs up if I'm on target.

Thank you for any comments/assistance.

Travis

Attachments

• Sales script.pdf
    22.5 KB · Views: 22
First, I don't sell medicare supplements... so keep that in mind.

It's not bad. Just remember that you can't script a conversation.

I would change this part in the beginning: "Great! Look, I know you get bombarded by sales calls all the time and they can be pretty annoying. Instead of trying to sell you something, can you tell me what’s going on with your current policy to make you think about talking to me today?"

Why plant that idea and put yourself in the same category in their mind? Just go straight into asking questions.

If anything, I'd say something along the lines of: "My job is to see if I have a solution that can help you and improve upon what you currently have. If I have an idea that will work, I'll make a recommendation (or two). If I don't, at least we can know that you're in the best place and we keep everything "as is". So, if I may, I'd like to ask you a few questions to make sure you're qualified and what your needs are so I can tailor my recommendation to meet your exact needs. Does that make sense?"

Just by positioning yourself as a kind of 'advisor'... you should put yourself on the same side of the table as the prospect... rather than even planting the idea that you're "just like everyone else trying to sell something".

Just an idea.

Hello all,

I've attached my first crack at a sales script. I'm currently gearing up for selling Med Supps over the phone in my underwear to make $15000 a week (jk). My first appointment just came through e-mail and I'm still waiting for my second.

Anyways, I pulled from a bunch of different sources and developed a sales script for me to follow. I'll be using telemarketed leads. I'm realistic in knowing that I probably will only close 10-15% starting off. I'd greatly appreciate any constructive feedback and/or thumbs up if I'm on target.

Thank you for any comments/assistance.

Travis
My only comment is that you should probably wear briefs instead of boxers. :twitchy:

I agree that I can't 100% script a conversation. However, I do want to be prepared on a call as a Newbs.

I think my initial thought with the line was for it to be a disruptor. Instead of being "salesy" I'm more "advocating." Essentially, I was attempting to make the same point as you, but my verbiage may come across as the opposite.

I can see your point though. I did take your verbiage and tweak it a bit to sound like me.

Thank you for your input!

I agree that I can't 100% script a conversation. However, I do want to be prepared on a call as a Newbs.

I think my initial thought with the line was for it to be a disruptor. Instead of being "salesy" I'm more "advocating." Essentially, I was attempting to make the same point as you, but my verbiage may come across as the opposite.

I can see your point though. I did take your verbiage and tweak it a bit to sound like me.

Thank you for your input!
A Newb needs a script to stay on course. After you get more comfortable, ditch the script and just have a conversation. :yes:

First, I don't sell medicare supplements... so keep that in mind.

I would change this part in the beginning: "Great! Look, I know you get bombarded by sales calls all the time and they can be pretty annoying. Instead of trying to sell you something, can you tell me what’s going on with your current policy to make you think about talking to me today?"

Why plant that idea and put yourself in the same category in their mind? Just go straight into asking questions.

If anything, I'd say something along the lines of: "My job is to see if I have a solution that can help you and improve upon what you currently have. If I have an idea that will work, I'll make a recommendation (or two). If I don't, at least we can know that you're in the best place and we keep everything "as is". So, if I may, I'd like to ask you a few questions to make sure you're qualified and what your needs are so I can tailor my recommendation to meet your exact needs. Does that make sense?"

Just by positioning yourself as a kind of 'advisor'... you should put yourself on the same side of the table as the prospect... rather than even planting the idea that you're "just like everyone else trying to sell something".

Just an idea.

I couldn't agree more. I sell med supps over the phone in calif. I get to the point as quickly as possible. The phrase "my job" was taught to me 30+ yrs ago when I first started selling insurance. Apparently, it has value in the eyes of successful producers.

Since Med Supps are "Standardized," the only difference per each plan is the price. So, I tell prospects immediately that I may be able to save them thousands of dollars in premiums over their lifetime.

Good luck.

Last edited:
you can't script a conversation.

Great advice. Something most folks overlook.

This is also why I encourage people to have a list of questions to ask vs relying on a script. And I recommend this book
Amazon product ASIN 1570715882

Until you get comfortable with Medicare, and phone sales, just accept the fact you are going to screw up a few times and miss sales you will easily pick up a few months from now.

New recruits don't make it to the majors the first day. They usually start at AAA then advance through the farm system.

Some never make it to the majors.

Don't swing for the fences your first day. Nothing wrong with solid contact and base hits.

All this said, I have been in this business for a long time. And most of my sales experience for the last 30 years has been phone sales.

But I discarded a script a long time ago. And most of my initial sales calls are either referrals or folks who have found me on the web.

That being said, I start the phone conversation with questions.

In no particular order . . .
  • what kind of Medicare questions do you have?
  • how can I help you?
  • how long have you been looking?
  • why haven't you bought yet?
If they have a Medicare plan now,
  • other than price, tell me what you DON'T like about your current plan?
  • what other things would you like to see changed
If you ask enough of the RIGHT questions they will tell you exactly what you need to know to make them a client

That you so much for the feedback. I greatly appreciate the wealth of knowledge that you guys are providing for free!

I'm going to go back to my script and re-tool it to be more conversational. There are points that I actually want to be scripted out, but I don't need everything done as it creates inflexibility.

Great advice. Something most folks overlook.

Until you get comfortable with Medicare, and phone sales, just accept the fact you are going to screw up a few times and miss sales you will easily pick up a few months from now.

New recruits don't make it to the majors the first day. They usually start at AAA then advance through the farm system.

Some never make it to the majors.

Don't swing for the fences your first day. Nothing wrong with solid contact and base hits.

I appreciate the advice. I have very, very modest goals.
If you ask enough of the RIGHT questions they will tell you exactly what you need to know to make them a client

This is something I'm trying to figure out, lol. I'm guessing this is a time and experience thing; but if I can cut the learning curve a little, I'm in.

Again, thank you for everyone's input. I'll post the retool in a bit.

I completed the retooled script with more of a question-based format.

Feedback is always welcomed.

Attachments

• Sales Script 2.pdf
    38.6 KB · Views: 19
Back