Marketing: Cold Calling Question

I have not been in the Insurance Industry for a long time like some of the people here but, I learned VERY quickly. Why offer products from one company when you can do it from 15 different companies? Drop Farmers, go Independent.

I have yet to get any good closing rates on internet leads.

My telemarketer makes calls all hours of the day and early evening. Script that is most effective has been " Are you familiar with "XYZ Insurance agency out on ***main st ? Well, they've asked me to call and offer a few folks in the area free auto insurance quotes, shall I have them put one in the mail for you ? then she gathers some trivial info. just enough for us to prepare a baseline quote and get it out in our quote package. We also include agency brochure, money back guarantee, testimonial booklet, free gift, etc in the mailing. We follow up with 7 day and 21 day letters, she then calls them back in 30 days to see that they got everything and to thank them again for accepting. We are actually up to a 21% close rate on these cold leads versus a 58% close rate on "call in" clients. I am thrilled about that type of success. Oh yeah, we quoted 320 autos from her in the past 45 days. My CSR's are getting tired!!

She chose to be paid per lead rather than hourly and has yet to earn under $450/week and has yet to work over 20 hours in one week. Worth every penny.

From where does she get her list?

She makes most of our cross sell calls also. The original producer gets the first six months for a chance at a cross sell, then it goes to the telemarketer and the producer gets zero commission.

Cold Call Help:

What type of power questions should I ask and which ones work the best?

I was thinking of something as follows:

Hello my name is ___________ and I have recently started an agency with Farmers Insurance. I would like to ask you a few quick questions:

-Who are you currently insured with?
-How long have you been with them?
-Do you know when you policy is up for renewal?
-Is there anything that concerns you about your insurance coverage or service?
- Have you filed any claims with your current provider, and if so how was the claim handled?

-When was the last time your agent reviewed your insurance policy with you?

-------

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Also if you have any tricks of the trade, please do share. Thank you for any input in advance.

Google Mike Brooks, Mr. Inside Sales; Art Sobczak and Bill Good.
Sign up for their free newsletters and buy some of their booklets. I like Mike Brooks the best.

I would NOT start out by introducing yourself. Instead, start with a benefit:

Jim, I'm calling about your homeowners policy. Did you know there are new changes that could help save you as much as 30%? My name is ____ with Farmers Insurance and I'd like to ask you a few questions to see if I can help you save you thousands of dollars over the next several years.

I've been in sales a long time (not insurance the whole time, but who cares?). If there's anything I know how to do, it's cold calling. What people tend to think works and doesn't work depends on their philosophy. The statistical truth is this:

The first 3-8 seconds of a cold call is about the person on the other end of the phone. There are several ways to approach him or her, and there are actually good ways and better ways to do it. But that's only 20% of your results. Let me say that again... it's only 20% of your results.

The remainder is volume. 80% of cold calling is about volume. If you want X number of closing sales a week, create a matrix.

When I sold for my last health insurance company, I was cold calling for agents at the start. I called off of sales genie lists. It was a piece of cake, because I was paid $20 a lead if I turned in 20 or more leads per week. I was turning in 30, 35, 40 in an easily 30-hour work week. Volume is everything in cold calling.

I found that for every 100 dials, I had roughly half of them answer the phone (so I'd call the NA's later) so those 50 turned into prospects. I had a simple pitch that I made, and it doesn't really matter what I said because I could have said just about anything and had very similar results.

Out of the 50 prospects, 25 of them told me no, and that was great. It made the day shorter and got me to faster results.

The 25 prospects that didn't say no told me something "other than no". They had an objection, they had something to tell me about how they just hate insurance or their aunt just bought something, yada yada. I never cared. These were the people that really urked me, because they just wanted to chit chat and waste my time - probably on purpose. I'd have to say that I could bank on about 5 prospects turning into actual contacts.

From the 5 contacts/leads, my job was done, but I remember teaching this to the agents in a meeting. I asked if they had any results from my leads and they told me my closing rate was about 60% of everything they received from me. So, about 2 out of every 3 of them closed. I just attribute that to my own personal way of introducing myself on the phone.

Anyway, so the formula I work with is simple:

100 Dials - (1.5 to 2 hours)
50 Prospects
25 Objections
5 Leads
2/3 Closing rate

So, if I wanted to bank 10 sales a week, all I needed to do was follow my formula making 500 dials a week and spend between 7.5 and 10 hours on calls. That's, what, two days a week, 5 hours a day at the most? So, Monday and Wednesday, I might have called from 9-3 taking an hour for lunch, and I'd run appointments Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and maybe Saturday if I needed to.

ALL COLD CALLING DOES IS SORT A LIST OF NAMES! The most successful people sort faster and more efficiently. It's not about what you say, it's about your volume. There will never be some magical wording you use to make cold calling more effective. It is what it is, you have to attack YOUR MARKET with something they benefit from, but how you do that is up to your business model.

You don't need smoke and mirrors to get people to talk to you on the phone. You just need to be personable. I always introduce myself like this:

"Hi, ___, my name is Shaun, how are you?" "I'm fine, Shaun, and yourself?" [I have yet to have someone tell me to go to hell with this...]

"I'm great, thanks for asking!"

Then I introduce the company I work for and the benefit we offer. That's IT. The shorter the text of the call is, the better your sorting will be and the higher quality your leads will be. These results don't tend to vary by much, and I'm giving you the low ball results because I know if this system is actually followed, the results are better. Have a formula, use short, simple communication, and be friendly. That's all you really need to be successful at CC's.

Last edited:
Cold Call Help:

- What has been the success rate for cold calling?
- What are peoples general reaction to the cold call?
- How many calls do you need to make before you can expect to sell an appointment?
- What type of power questions should I ask and which ones work the best?
- What is the best time of the day to place the calls?

I was thinking of something as follows:

Hello my name is ___________ and I have recently started an agency with Farmers Insurance. I would like to ask you a few quick questions:

The client isn't interested in what you like.
They're busy listening to WIIFM "What's in it for me."

"Are you happy with your health insurance?"

Think about their hot buttons.

Back