Marketing Multiple MA Plans Compliantly

Medicare supplements do not replace their Medicare coverage. The pay in addition to Medicare and fill the gaps.

It's a much bigger deal when someone is agreeing to give up their Medicare coverage and move completely to private (for profit) health insurance. They want to make certain that people are not slammed with out understanding it.

Like most things the government (politicians) do, they take a fairly simple topic and make it so convoluted and confusing, that the public could never really understand it.

If you tell a consumer they are giving up their Medicare when they enroll in a MA it is very frowned upon my CMS is a violation. In fact if you say they are giving up original Medicare or that the MA replaces original Medicare it is a violation. The first few pages in the Medicare and You handbook covers this under the different methods on how one can get their Medicare benefits.

I sell both MA and Med supps and try to show the pros and cons of both.I think the terminology we are required to use to be compliant is a little confusing for the consumers but nothing pisses me off more when I come behind an agent like Banker's Life who don't sell or don't comprehend all the Medicare options like MA plan and they use scare tactics like telling consumers they are losing the Medicare if they sign up for MA.

Personally I would like to be able to refer to an MA as a replacement plan to original Medicare and I wish CMS would have just called MA plans " Privatized Medicare Plans " to help consumers better wrap their head around what the different plans are but since they didn't I think it's better for our customers if agents selling any type of Medicare Health plans use consistent terminology when referring to the plans

I

If you tell a consumer they are giving up their Medicare when they enroll in a MA it is very frowned upon my CMS is a violation. In fact if you say they are giving up original Medicare or that the MA replaces original Medicare it is a violation. The first few pages in the Medicare and You handbook covers this under the different methods on how one can get their Medicare benefits.

I sell both MA and Med supps and try to show the pros and cons of both.I think the terminology we are required to use to be compliant is a little confusing for the consumers but nothing pisses me off more when I come behind an agent like Banker's Life who don't sell or don't comprehend all the Medicare options like MA plan and they use scare tactics like telling consumers they are losing the Medicare if they sign up for MA.

Wouldn't mind if CMS cracked down on docs using their favorite description, "Medicare Replacement Plans," when talking to their patients about MA plans.

Personally I would like to be able to refer to an MA as a replacement plan to original Medicare and I wish CMS would have just called MA plans " Privatized Medicare Plans " to help consumers better wrap their head around what the different plans are but since they didn't I think it's better for our customers if agents selling any type of Medicare Health plans use consistent terminology when referring to the plans

I

I've done around 60 educational seminars over the last 5-years at the local hospital auditoriums. These seminars are heavily advertised as educational and always attract CMS secret shoppers. I make it very clear that there is original Medicare or you can choose to go off original Medicare and be covered by a private insurance company with an alternative to original Medicare.

I've never had the 1st problem with any of it. It's very unbiased but honest. I sell about a 50/50 mix of med sups and med advantage.

Back