Married couple moving from NC to MI

Michexp

This couple is currently in a MAPD in NC and is interested in obtaining Med Supp when they move to Michigan. They are moving sometime in January. Recommending they renew with their current carrier for the start of 2018, apply for their Supp and PDP to be effective as close to their move date as possible and then cancel their MAPD once coverage kicks in for Supp and D...correct? They don't want to renew, but their is a chance of them going without coverage for a short time during the transition, so I am discouraging that. Guar Issue provision in place, would you recommend supp F or C? G and N not an option under Guar Issue, if I am not mistaken. Thank you, as usual, for any guidance.

My preference is F in most cases, but as a P&C guy I am by no means an expert which is exactly why I recommend F as its the most inclusive of them. Having gaps is no bueno because although there is a qualifying event of them moving, it doesn't necessarily mean its a guarantee issue so you advice is sound there IMO. Certain areas are very limited on MA availability so if they are planning on moving to an area with limited access to a good MA plan, you may push them to get the plan F & Part-D for a 1-1-18 start.

I know there are for more senior "Senior" insurance guys here so please feel free to expand on or admonish my ignorance.

What is, "Guar Issue?" Sounds like a hair metal band from the 80's. More senior agents might be able to expound.

Thanks, BT. Yes, F is the likely safe play, however, I am concerned about possible premium increases once 2020 hits, although there is not a lot of history to back-up this concern. Wish we could offer a G or even N at GI issue.

Thanks, BT. Yes, F is the likely safe play, however, I am concerned about possible premium increases once 2020 hits, although there is not a lot of history to back-up this concern. Wish we could offer a G or even N at GI issue.
This business changes far too fast to concern ourselves with 2020 just yet...

Back