May I have your attention, please?

I know this may sound sexist but I usually stand out as the only "girl" who has called them. (I am younger and have a young sounding voice) So I use it to my advantage and talk alot about helping them find a plan they are comfortable with. I tell them that the most important thing is not jsut to find an affordable plan but to find a plan that they are comfortable with. Most of the time when I talk to them the second time they say something like "your the girl that was helping us find a plan". It maybe a little different but you have to work with what you've got.

Frank- If you called me darlin during a meeting I would be VERY irritated, and would probably not work with you. But as you said it may work for seniors, and not others. When I sold MA plans I always told people that I evaluated every plan not on whether or not I would want to be on it but if I would want my grandparents on it. That seemed to make people more comfortable.

I almost didn't post that part of it because I knew I would catch a lot of flack. (Especially from the female agents. No, that is not a slam, just a fact! I'm very sensitive about who I say that to.)

My sweet little old ladies just love it when I call them "darlin". You must remember, I am me, not you, and I'm not trying to sell you insurance. I didn't say I do it all the time nor did I say I do it with everyone.

I said that "You don't have to agree with the way I do it, it is just what has always enabled me to be very successful at this." I am not even remotely suggesting that "you" do it this way. Anyone would probably fail miserably if you tried to be "me" when you go on an appointment as I would also probably fail if I tried to be them. (I might even get "VERY irritated" if they called me a "girl". That is, if they didn't buy a policy. LOL)

The original poster stated, "Some folks are of the belief you need to set yourself apart from the competition by creating a USP (unique selling proposition)." I was simply responding and adding what I do to make myself "unique".

I have made a lot of money selling in the senior market doing it just the way I stated. I know others who have also made a lot of money and if I tried to do it their way I would have failed miserably.

Salpro, ain't no way you are ever going to be a "darlin". That is unless you want to buy something. :D

I completly agree with Frank. You have to be yourself in order to truely be successful at anything.

This thread is great and highlights why generic scripts don't work. Often successful salespeople get asked "what's your script?" But you have to develope your own unique system that works for you and that you're comfortable with. If some agents started using my system they'd crash and burn, and I'd crash and burn if I used someone else's.

I know this may sound sexist but I usually stand out as the only "girl" who has called them. (I am younger and have a young sounding voice) So I use it to my advantage...

Steph, the biggest mistake I see agents make, and make a lot, is that they read books, listen to others who claim they are successful and try to sell the way someone else does. They try to be "actors" when on an appointment. Agents should use everything and anything they have going for them to their advantage.

You can't get someone to "like" you if you don't "like" who you are.

Good job, "Darlin". I'm just kidding, I couldn't resist, please don't hurt me, beat me or make me have to write bad checks." :D

The other thing to discuss is very successful agents very into what they do. They are experts on their products and constantly seek out information. You will never show me a six figure insurance agent where this is not their entire life.

That cannot be taught or given to you. Someone can dump 100 fee leads in your lap and a script and you'll nose-dive unless you have a passion for this.

I think it shows when you love what you do, and are passionate about it. In the begining I made the mistake of trying to be like other agents, but then I had a mentor that taught me to be me. That you have to care about what you are selling and who you are selling it to. He once told me that "Anyone can sell you something you want, only someone who cares can sell you what you need." For some reason I have always remembered that.

Back