May I have your attention, please?

It's also about finding the type of insurance you should be selling. Some people are better cut out to sell health and just can't do auto. For example, I love health insurance but auto and homeowners gives me a headache. But I worked with a P&C guy who couldn't stand health. You have to sell what you are comfortable with. Could I sell auto? Probably. Would I be happy. Probably not.

Great posts.

I was not happy in the underage market, but love the senior market, and my sales reflect that.

Personality has a lot to do with this business. Insurance agents are not known to be a pleasure to be around. So, if you break that mold, then you chances of gaining a client are outstanding.

My line I use is (my last name is Gattorna)

Client: How do you pronounce your last name?
Me: I have no idea

ha ha

Or, when people ask me about my line of work, I tell them that I love what I do. But, when I got my insurance license, that no one told me people put insurance agents in the same class as lawyers and used car salesmen.

Or, when people ask me about my line of work, I tell them that I love what I do. But, when I got my insurance license, that no one told me people put insurance agents in the same class as lawyers and used car salesmen.

Wow, we're coming up in the world. :D

What do you call a bus load of lawyers going over a cliff? A good start!

Just kidding, I think. LOL

The other thing to discuss is very successful agents very into what they do. They are experts on their products and constantly seek out information. You will never show me a six figure insurance agent where this is not their entire life.

That cannot be taught or given to you. Someone can dump 100 fee leads in your lap and a script and you'll nose-dive unless you have a passion for this.

I think there is something to be said about this NOT being your entire life too. I can say that insurance is not my life and I'm really not passionate about. I like the work, yes--but passionate? Not quite. Of course, this will be my first year hitting 6 figures too and it took me almost 5 years...so I guess you can get to 6 figs quicker if you eat sleep and drink insurance, but who wants to do that?

Another good post. Yes, it doesn't have to be your life and it depends on your financial situation and goals.

Some agents have a working spouse and low bills. They're quite fine to plod along with year 1 - $30K, year 2 - $50K, year 3 - $80K and year 4 - $100K.

However, that's not the carrot that's constantly dangled. The carrot is "SIX FIGURES!" Yes, you can make 1st year six figure income - but it will be your entire life:-)

Success is having a balanced life, and enjoying all aspects of it.

I feel that I am passionate about insurance, but that does not mean I am letting it consume my life. There has to be a balance between professional life and personal life.

Working through your kids sports or missing family events because you are working is not being successful. That is why I left the automotive field. I worked every Saturday. I worked with people who were missing their kids games, and I did not want to be that Dad.

But that is the great thing about this field. You can make your own schedule. Sure, there are some things that cannot be changed, but overall, compared to a 9-5 job, we have the ability to write our own schedules.

On the flip side, if you bust it out your first couple of years, work all the time, but then can ease the schedule, that is not really a bad thing. Most people have to work 10+ years to get where we can be in a few.

Back