Medicaid Rx Question/Confusion

Rossat

Super Genius
Randomly I come across Medicaid individuals aging into Medicare, and are still paying the Medicaid costs for their Rx's when I was under the impression those should be subject to Medicare's (PDP) cost.

Example (PA):
Client has Medicaid. Medicare begun 4/1 (A&B). Medicare reflects NO LIS, NO PDP coverage, NOT Full. IEP ends this month. Due to PA COVID extension, still has Medicaid but probably will lose it when extension ends; TBD. However, when I asked how much they are currently paying for their list of Medications, they gave the Medicaid Rates.

My question is ultimately: how is this possible? My understanding was once someone gets Medicare, Medicaid is secondary but Rx coverage stops with the exception of a handful of drug types.

Am I missing something here? I wish Medicare and Medicaid would make it very clear how they interact with one another during this transition period but it seems everyone is different.

If they are dual eligible (Medicare + Medicaid), they will still pay Medicaid costs or the drugs.

That must be state specific, because in Louisiana, once you have Medicare, you pay those co-pays even if you are dual eligible. The copays at that point depend on the level of extra help you qualify for.

I'm not seeing in that document where it states that. It is stating Medicaid must cover prescription drugs, but that's not stating when an individual has both. Just simply: Medicaid programs must cover prescriptions.

Per the DHS site of PA it states: If you receive Medicare and get your prescription drugs through Medical Assistance (the ACCESS card), you will be required to enroll in a Part D plan.

AND

Medicaid will no longer cover most prescription drugs — Dual eligibles have to get their prescription drug coverage through Medicare Part D.

Latest posts

Back