Enrollment confusion

Thank you for the links, I’ll need to read these this weekend. I can imagine how confused non-agents are!
Caveat, I am not an agent.

Unsolicited advice comment.

If there is ANY way you can get some reputable IMO connection for training and support prior to the Jan-Feb time frame you have talked about, you really should be looking into that.

But if someone has a special enrollment after delaying part b, they then have a second 6 month chance to get a supplement without health questions then?

Caveat, I am NOT an agent.

I think your thinking is fuzzy here. I believe it is still the "first" chance.

If a person has never had Part B coverage, they have never had an opportunity to have a Medigap plan.

So when they defer their Part B enrollment until they retire, they then have their first chance to buy a Medigap plan based on their Part B start date.

Not exactly.

With supplements, everything revolves around part B. You can have part A and the biggest 65th birthday anyone has ever seen. Doesn't matter. No part B no supplement.

You can have a client that turns 65 and buys a supplement. A year later he drops or loses his part B. (Usually for non payment) He can reapply in January or January 5 years from now. He'll be re-enrolled with an effective date of 7/1. He then gets a 3 month period that he can apply for another supplement with no health questions. Not six months.

With supplements, everything revolves around part b.

And FYI. None of the above is found in Medicare rules and regulations. It's a company thing. No supplement company asks how many supplements you've applied for. They treat it as a first time situation.

You need to be careful here. There is a non-agent reading your posts. :cool:

Back when I first joined the forum and started making comments and asking questions there were some agents who angrily stated they were going to stop posting here because I was going to learn and steal all the Medicare agent secrets, take them to being a SHIP (SHICK in KS) counselor, and put the Medicare agents out of business.

(Ultimately I never did either the agent thing or the SHIP thing.)

NOW, FINALLY, after 7 years, I am finally getting to see some TOP SECRET, CODEWORD, backroom agent knowledge.

:D:1wink::D

(Perhaps part of your retirement plan could be writing the Black Book of Medicare Agent Sales Secrets!)

You need to be careful here. There is a non-agent reading your posts. :cool:

Back when I first joined the forum and started making comments and asking questions there were some agents who angrily stated they were going to stop posting here because I was going to learn and steal all the Medicare agent secrets, take them to being a SHIP (SHICK in KS) counselor, and put the Medicare agents out of business.

(Ultimately I never did either the agent thing or the SHIP thing.)

NOW, FINALLY, after 7 years, I am finally getting to see some TOP SECRET, CODEWORD, backroom agent knowledge.

:D:1wink::D
Not my fault that I know where their weak spots are.

Never had a problem with you being a non-agent. Hell, you know more about Medicare than some of the guys on here.

The only problem I have is you being from/in Kansas. Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains.

Wait, on second thought that's Oklahoma.

Never mind.
(Perhaps part of your retirement plan could be writing the Black Book of Medicare Agent Sales Secrets!)

Not exactly.

With supplements, everything revolves around part B. You can have part A and the biggest 65th birthday anyone has ever seen. Doesn't matter. No part B no supplement.

You can have a client that turns 65 and buys a supplement. A year later he drops or loses his part B. (Usually for non payment) He can reapply in January or January 5 years from now. He'll be re-enrolled with an effective date of 7/1. He then gets a 3 month period that he can apply for another supplement with no health questions. Not six months.

With supplements, everything revolves around part b.

And FYI. None of the above is found in Medicare rules and regulations. It's a company thing. No supplement company asks how many supplements you've applied for. They treat it as a first time situation.

I'e never heard of that...is there a name for that enrollment period or something? Where someone loses part b gets it back and gets another medigap open enrollment? Is there a way to do this without penalty?

I'e never heard of that...is there a name for that enrollment period or something? Where someone loses part b gets it back and gets another medigap open enrollment? Is there a way to do this without penalty?
It's simply using Medicare's form 40B. You have to use it during Medicare's GEP which is January 1 through March 31. And unless they've changed it, coverage starts on July 1st.

Yes, you have to pay the 10% and LEP penalties.

As far as another open enrollment, the answer is yes. But it's at the company level. It has nothing to do with Medicare and Social Security.

All supplement enrollments revolve around part B. Not part A and not your age. Companies only look at the part B date on the application. They don't ask if you've had part B before.

Attachments

• CMS-40B.pdf
    94.6 KB · Views: 3
It's simply using Medicare's form 40B. You have to use it during Medicare's GEP which is January 1 through March 31. And unless they've changed it, coverage starts on July 1st.

Is this one of those situations covered by a new rule following month start date?

The only problem I have is you being from/in Kansas. Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains.

Wait, on second thought that's Oklahoma.

Never mind.

Well, just be happy you were not one of Coronado's men riding through it in full armor. Might be a problem getting back up if you were blown off your horse. :laugh:

@Duaine can you get your AI to crank out a friendly Kansas wind picture for @rmhaire ?

Back