Medicare + ACA? How many of you cross sell ACA?

who do you have your fl blue ACA contract with?
We just write it thru health sherpa and get the one time referral fee. I'm in Missouri so it isn't a super common ask. I've probably written 15-20 total but did get the Medicare when it was time.

We've done both since ACA started and it is turning into a gold mine. Write a family of 4 and you'll make $1000 or so.

I think we wrote over 500 new to us this AEP in addition to our Medicare stuff and many of those are a few years out so it fills the t65 pipeline.

Id start by learning the networks of the plans in your area and then learning how the tax credits work and then jump in head first with a few spouses of Medicare clients or older people losing cobra. They pretty much have to go ACA so it is somewhat of a captive audience.

If you view ACA as a Medicare lead generation tool it will help justify the free work that can come from this market as you expand. I've written plenty of Florida Blue plans but then grabbed their Medicare supplement plans at 65.

Thanks for these suggestions. A few follow up questions:

1. Sales: Do you focus on local or do you sell in multi-states? (We sell over the phone in 40+ states). I'm wondering if ACA is similar to Medigap sales in terms of ease of contracting and selling across multiple states.

2. Education: Any suggestions on good/great educational resources for ACA?

3: FMOs: This may tie into #2, but are there certain FMOs that are a step above the rest?

Thanks again!

Thanks for these suggestions. A few follow up questions:

1. Sales: Do you focus on local or do you sell in multi-states? (We sell over the phone in 40+ states). I'm wondering if ACA is similar to Medigap sales in terms of ease of contracting and selling across multiple states.

2. Education: Any suggestions on good/great educational resources for ACA?

3: FMOs: This may tie into #2, but are there certain FMOs that are a step above the rest?

Thanks again!

Im pretty new to ACA, just got thrown into it after so many Medicare spouses needed ACA coverage, but just throwing my opinion out there.

I only do two states with ACA, and that's all I really have interest in doing. It was easier than Medicare contracting for me, and it was very quick. Selling in a different state is pretty much the same as Medicare is, so you shouldn't have much of an issue. I know some states have their own marketplace, so you'd have to learn each one if health sherpa doesn't operate in those states.

Starting out knowing nothing about ACA, I read this:
https://www.cms.gov/marketplace/tec...g-materials/patient-protection-aca-basics.pdf

Other than that, it was just familiarizing myself with each state marketplace and software. IMO, the barrier to entry to ACA is lower than Medicare is (knowledge wise) so you'll pick it up quick.

Some FMOs are better than others, but I'm not sure of any that are specific to ACA, maybe someone else will have something to add on this question.

Last edited:
Cigna isn’t too bad on premiums. Luckily my wife got licensed last year and she’s a captive FL blue agent so I can send her the biz.
During AEP I turned clients down that asked to help their kids and ACA. There’s some new rules with a form they have to sign or something and I have zero idea what it is and if there’s a digital version.
It's a consent form giving the agent the authorization to submit/sign the app. Doesn't have to be a form. Just get them to authorize by email or text.

I only got around 100 on the books .
Im pretty new to ACA, just got thrown into it after so many Medicare spouses needed ACA coverage, but just throwing my opinion out there.

I only do two states with ACA, and that's all I really have interest in doing. It was easier than Medicare contracting for me, and it was very quick. Selling in a different state is pretty much the same as Medicare is, so you shouldn't have much of an issue. I know some states have their own marketplace, so you'd have to learn each one if health sherpa doesn't operate in those states.

Starting out knowing nothing about ACA, I read this:
https://www.cms.gov/marketplace/tec...g-materials/patient-protection-aca-basics.pdf

Other than that, it was just familiarizing myself with each state marketplace and software. IMO, the barrier to entry to ACA is lower than Medicare is (knowledge wise) so you'll pick it up quick.

Some FMOs are better than others, but I'm not sure of any that are specific to ACA, maybe someone else will have something to add on this question.

The problem I have with Aca is total lack of info from carriers . It’s like dealing with a ghost .Cigna , Oscar , Ambetter etc send out few few emails nor have much info on the products .The service for all carriers is scary atrocious . Ambetter is 95% foreign cs that speak terrible English . It’s super easy to write but I find % much much worse than Medicare. You’ll write a lot of young people that go on and off it , people use for temporary in between jobs or they get jobs with it eventually.

I only got around 100 on the books .

The problem I have with Aca is total lack of info from carriers . It’s like dealing with a ghost .Cigna , Oscar , Ambetter etc send out few few emails nor have much info on the products .The service for all carriers is scary atrocious . Ambetter is 95% foreign cs that speak terrible English . It’s super easy to write but I find % much much worse than Medicare. You’ll write a lot of young people that go on and off it , people use for temporary in between jobs or they get jobs with it eventually.

Yeah I agree with that. Many of these companies have horrible customer/agent service. Im waiting on almost three weeks for a technical glitch for an enrollment for Jan 1 to get resolved. THREE WEEKS

I do begrudgingly, but they are a TON of work, and in my opinion, the juice is just not worth the squeeze anymore. In a small sense, it's like doing someone's taxes. Nothing but a headache and pain in the rear end. The other problem is clients come and go all the time. You'll spend all this time working on them....they stay on it for 3-4 months, and then they're gone without a trace.

No Brainer to do ACA and medicare.
I have a good 50 couples, one under 65, and one over. Got both spouses.

I get them in late 50's, early 60's, and then get both when T65

My ACA biz has 95% consistency, as most are retired or self employed, so no churn.

Certain carriers are great, others suck. My favorite are Oscar, ambetter and now Aetna got a chunk of my BOB this year in AZ and FL. Their portals are all good or getting better.

Doing ACA is an art, i can see it being a pain if doing part time.

Back