Medicare Cold Call Scenarios

It tracks back to the original intent. If you did that and sold MA, you'd have problems, the way the law reads it goes back to original intent. Now, if you're inviting them to talk about senior products other than MA (or any others that have that specific prohibition) then they ask about the prohibited item, that should be fine. That said, you better be damn sure you're not actually using it as a rouse to sell MA plans. An agency in NY got fined over $100k (small one too) for door knocking on supps and selling MA because they looked at what they actually sold which was almost entirely MA. If it walks like a duck and it talks like a duck, it's probably a MA sales activity.

Survey, same problem. It goes to original intent. If you are particularly curious about getting into this you should do AHIP (or see if someone has the slides printed out somewhere). You can also review the CMS marketing guidelines. This might help get you pointed in the right direction:

http://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Health-Plans/ManagedCareMarketing/FinalPartCMarketingGuidelines.html

I just took a MA/part D class last night for the first time and was completely surprised at just how incredibly restrictive the law is in regards to communication. No cross selling? No calling to check everything is ok after the sale? I am sure there are good reasons for some of the rules but there does seem to be a lot of opportunity to get in a jam.

I just took a MA/part D class last night for the first time and was completely surprised at just how incredibly restrictive the law is in regards to communication. No cross selling? No calling to check everything is ok after the sale? I am sure there are good reasons for some of the rules but there does seem to be a lot of opportunity to get in a jam.

That's why I got out of selling them.

has something changed that i'm not aware of?
Unsolicited outbound telephone calls:
"one exception is medigap. due to the relative nature of medigap and ma/pd, if the beneficiary initiates a discussion of ma/pd products during a telephone conversation an agent may proceed if the phone call is recorded"
and
"even if the appointment is a medigap appointment the agent must follow the scope of appointment guidelines followed by a 48 hour period"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
i think it's unfair that someone can get something in the mail and enroll, but we practice full disclosure and still get blamed for another adults decision. madness

Last edited by a moderator:
Back