Medicare Cold Call Scenarios

I door knock for life insurance and med supps and sometimes dental. I set the appointments in the future. I have a lady now who I met with for life. In the process I met her brother who lives with her. I will be bringing her a brochure for a company she asked for and putting it under her doormat. At some point I expect I will write a life policy on her.

I will have the life policy sent to her and I will call to confirm she got her policy. Every so often I will "check in " with her to see if she has any questions or needs dental or "anything else". I will mention to her that I "have all the health plans you have heard about and I handle those too". I will ask if she thinks she has everything she needs in her health plan.

Either she or someone like her is eventually going to want me to meet with them about their health plan. First thing I do is ask them what they like or don't like. I let them ranble on and on. When that person asks me for an MA am I supposed to say no because two years ago I knocked on her door for another product?

Knocking on a senior's door is what causes problems for everyone. Do us all a favor and never knock on the door in the first place!

My friends in this business and I tell seniors to never speak to a stranger who arrives at their door selling insurance uninvited. You may be perfectly honest but who protects them from the next guy?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
P.S. I DO real work, like volunteer in my community, get involved in senior organizations and get most business from referrals. Aren't people sceptical when you knock on their door? Does this really work for you or could you make better use of your time doing something more productive?

Last edited:
My friends in this business and I tell seniors to never speak to a stranger who arrives at their door selling insurance uninvited. You may be perfectly honest but who protects them from the next guy?
P.S. I DO real work, like volunteer in my community, get involved in senior organizations and get most business from referrals. Aren't people sceptical when you knock on their door? Does this really work for you or could you make better use of your time doing something more productive?

Door knocking works well, especially in more rural areas. It is a GREAT way to get leads and it puts your name out there for young agents on a smaller budget.

Personal Example: It has been over a year and a half since I have acually done it, but still one of the biggest commissions I have ever made was a door knock. I was in northwest Missouri (Maryville) and knocked on a door. A guy comes out, I do my little opening. He talks to me, but won't let me inside yet. We sit on his porch. After 20 or so minutes, he invited me in. I reviewed his life policy. He had a U.L. that was 2 years away from lapsing. I was able to replace it with a $50K whole life at $285/month premium. Also, replaced his med supp and saved him over $40/month on that. Both policies are still in effect. I still talk with this gentleman and his wife on a regular basis.

Don't be afraid to get out there during slow times. Or, when the lead budget is running low. Plenty of people to help. Plenty of money to be made!

Door knocking works well, especially in more rural areas. It is a GREAT way to get leads and it puts your name out there for young agents on a smaller budget.

Personal Example: It has been over a year and a half since I have acually done it, but still one of the biggest commissions I have ever made was a door knock. I was in northwest Missouri (Maryville) and knocked on a door. A guy comes out, I do my little opening. He talks to me, but won't let me inside yet. We sit on his porch. After 20 or so minutes, he invited me in. I reviewed his life policy. He had a U.L. that was 2 years away from lapsing. I was able to replace it with a $50K whole life at $285/month premium. Also, replaced his med supp and saved him over $40/month on that. Both policies are still in effect. I still talk with this gentleman and his wife on a regular basis.

Don't be afraid to get out there during slow times. Or, when the lead budget is running low. Plenty of people to help. Plenty of money to be made!

Spoken like an agent who is interested in building a business and a career as opposed to doing this just to "make money".

I got sick of cold-calling. I bought nice new boots for the winter rainy season here in Northern California. I bought a "walking list" with 65 and older people in it. I go to 16 doors per day and have more business that I can handle. My boots keep me dry too...

I know how everyone hates to resurrect an old thread so I'll go head and do it.

Say an agent has a local office in the town. Is it illegal to go door knock seniors to introduce yourself, give them your card and let them know you work the senior market (medicare, FE, IRAs) and invite them to your office to review their options?

If they come to your office as a 'walk-in', it's a 'walk-in' and on the SOA you just put 'walk-in'. At their door yo didn't discuss ANY plan specifics on any product. in fact if they ask you to you could tell them you prefer they come to you.

Thoughts on whether this be legal? Whether or not it is doable or scalable is not the question. I'm of the opinion if 'I' think I can be successful at something then I can. These Edward Jones people do it. I also knocked doors for 25 years talking religion so this would be much easier.

My point is I want to be within the law. Maybe one could even do a survey which is supposedly legal and then let them know where your office is. invite them for coffee and doughnuts or something.
IDK
I know how everyone hates a resurrected old thread so I'll go head and do it. I love it when I get your blood boiling. If your blood pressure isn't up 10 points I'm not doing my job.

Say an agent has a local office in the town. Is it illegal to go door knock seniors to introduce yourself, give them your card and let them know you work the senior market (medicare, FE, IRAs) and invite them to your office to review their options?

If they come to your office as a 'walk-in', it's a 'walk-in' and on the SOA you just put 'walk-in'. At their door yo didn't discuss ANY plan specifics on any product. in fact if they ask you to you could tell them you prefer they come to you.

Thoughts on whether this be legal? Whether or not it is doable or scalable is not the question. I'm of the opinion if 'I' think I can be successful at something then I can. These Edward Jones people do it. I also knocked doors for 25 years talking religion so this would be much easier.

My point is I want to be within the law. Maybe one could even do a survey which is supposedly legal and then let them know where your office is. invite them for coffee and doughnuts or something.
IDK

Last edited:
Back