Medicare Eligibility/timing for 62 Y/o

jjrardin

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I'll preface by saying I have not sold or presented any medicare supplements. Briefly tried SmartD rx .... no need to talk about that :(
Anyway, I have a final expense client 62 yo female widow.
She plans on having knee surgery in January, when I asked ab why January she said she was going to buy a supplement in December and it would help pay what medicare wouldn't.
She is receiving disability, she is bi-polar has manic depression, takes some water pills, high blood pressure pills, and a cholesterol pill.
I'm pretty sure she said she had parts A and B, could that be right? Is it possible because of the widow and/or her being on disability?
The rest of the questions....
1. if she knows (and the DR, and everybody else) that she is gonna have a knee surgery in January is it kosher to buy a supplement in December?
2. Does she have to wait until Dec?
3. I'm wondering if I should take a stab at this or just let it lay, any suggestions I might give her?

Thanks for any insight and info!
Jim

I'll preface by saying I have not sold or presented any medicare supplements. Briefly tried SmartD rx .... no need to talk about that :(
Anyway, I have a final expense client 62 yo female widow.
She plans on having knee surgery in January, when I asked ab why January she said she was going to buy a supplement in December and it would help pay what medicare wouldn't.
She is receiving disability, she is bi-polar has manic depression, takes some water pills, high blood pressure pills, and a cholesterol pill.
I'm pretty sure she said she had parts A and B, could that be right? Is it possible because of the widow and/or her being on disability?
The rest of the questions....
1. if she knows (and the DR, and everybody else) that she is gonna have a knee surgery in January is it kosher to buy a supplement in December?
2. Does she have to wait until Dec?
3. I'm wondering if I should take a stab at this or just let it lay, any suggestions I might give her?

Thanks for any insight and info!
Jim

If she can find a carrier who will accept her, outside of a gi period. She could get it covered (also assuming no pre ex)
If she has a sep with gi then no medical questions

Last edited:
She is not going to be able to clear underwriting for a supplement until her guarantee issue period at age 65 excludes her from underwriting. She is probobly planning on enrolling into an MA plan during the AEP, which would be effective Jan 1st.

She is not going to be able to clear underwriting for a supplement until her guarantee issue period at age 65 excludes her from underwriting. She is probobly planning on enrolling into an MA plan during the AEP, which would be effective Jan 1st.

This is true if she is outside of OE. OP doesn't say. To the OP: Is Part B date within last six months?

This is true if she is outside of OE. OP doesn't say. To the OP: Is Part B date within last six months?

Medigap Guarantee issue rights can be a little different in each state. In Arkansas she is going to have to go through medical underwriting even if she is new to Medicare until she turns 65.

Medigap Guarantee issue rights can be a little different in each state. In Arkansas she is going to have to go through medical underwriting even if she is new to Medicare until she turns 65.

Really? different gi rules for each state. Thought the rules mandated by Medicare were universal (same everywhere)

Really? different gi rules for each state. Thought the rules mandated by Medicare were universal (same everywhere)

Not all of them. For underage 65, it's pretty much the insurance companies that set the rule for underwriting.

Some state have birthday GI rules where others don't.

That is one reason why the late and great Frank, the man that taught me the little that I know about Medicare, had so much success working with 67 years olds. He lived in a state that required that granted an open enrollment period every policy year.

Last edited:

Thanks. Easy to forget how states vary when working in only one, especially with how rare a U65 wanting a med supp over an MA is.

Thanks for the replies. I'm sure you nailed it with her wanting to get in a MA plan.
I'll touch base with her afterwards to follow up and make sure it all went smoothly :)

Thanks again,
Jim

Back