MEGA pays as promised!

There's no such word as irregardless.

HaHa, here we go again. Are we talking fact or fiction? According to this website, irregardless - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, the word has been used since 1912, although some the do admit that the word has not garnered general acceptance. Fortunately for me I'm not trying to win a popularity contest, but I do love a good debate.

Here's another source. Irregardless - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now go find something to contradict my post, and I'll prepare my rebuttal. I'll then have Al jump in on my behalf with his extensive knowledge of the English vocabulary, which will piss off Rick and cause a cataclysmic shift of the San Andreas fault line leaving SME and the rest of her gang with ocean front property and I can finally move to Phoenix, play golf half the day overlooking the ocean while I drink my pina colado's.

J.R., irregardless of what the Wikipedia says, I must agree with John P. that there ain't no such word. Seriously, the American Heritage Dictionary, 4th Ed. (2006) describes irregardless as the nonstandard form of regardless. It states, "Irregardless is a word that many people mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing....it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probaby continue to do so."

It falls into the same category as ain't. Because this is a high class, professional forum, the usage of nonstandard language is definitely
frowned upon.:jimlad::jimlad::jimlad:

P.S. I wouldn't put too much faith in anything on Wikepedia. They have posted a lot of blunders.

J.R., irregardless of what the Wikipedia says, I must agree with John P. that there ain't no such word. Seriously, the American Heritage Dictionary, 4th Ed. (2006) describes irregardless as the nonstandard form of regardless. It states, "Irregardless is a word that many people mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing....it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probaby continue to do so."

It falls into the same category as ain't. Because this is a high class, professional forum, the usage of nonstandard language is definitely
frowned upon.:jimlad::jimlad::jimlad:

P.S. I wouldn't put too much faith in anything on Wikepedia. They have posted a lot of blunders.

Two key words in your comment are "casual" and "writing." I'm not on this board writing or researching a thesis, so the validity of what I say does not jeopardize the integrity of this board.

If Peeler can use CAPS; Scott can post funny pictures and Al and Rick can continue to fight, then IRREGARDLESS of how some feel, I'm going to continue to use words I like.

Back