Mentor Questions/Advice

Indiana_Adam

Guru
100+ Post Club
I'm curious how many on here had/have a mentor. I know a few professionals who meet with their mentor regularly and they speak about how much it has impacted them. Even the greatest businessmen, such as Carnegie, had mentors earlier in their careers.

For those who have or have had a mentor, was your mentor involved in the same industry(insurance) or the same company as you? Did it happen haphazardly/organically or did you go in search of a mentor?

It makes sense as people tend to resemble/emulate those they associate with, so I would like to start pursuing those relationship and believe having a mentor would help tremendously. Or is this naive thinking on my part?

I'm curious how many on here had/have a mentor. I know a few professionals who meet with their mentor regularly and they speak about how much it has impacted them. Even the greatest businessmen, such as Carnegie, had mentors earlier in their careers.

For those who have or have had a mentor, was your mentor involved in the same industry(insurance) or the same company as you? Did it happen haphazardly/organically or did you go in search of a mentor?

It makes sense as people tend to resemble/emulate those they associate with, so I would like to start pursuing those relationship and believe having a mentor would help tremendously. Or is this naive thinking on my part?

my mentor has been this website

I've had several people that I have learned from to emulate... and avoid. Sometimes you won't see some people's weaknesses until much later.

What I've been learning lately... is to trust myself and my own communication style. Who I am IS important, rather than who I may be trying to pretend to be.

So I like resources that help me to communicate more freely and be who I am, but bring some structure to my business. That's why I recommend the Insurance Pro Shop - especially for their fact-finding training, and Sandy Schussel's referral training. I am also using Torrid Technologies RetirementView software to help clients to 'see' their retirement picture more clearly so we can make more informed decisions.

When you have a good framework for your work... its easier to trust yourself to BE yourself.

I am extremely blessed to have a mentor in both my professional life and personal life.

I also have those I avoid but learn from them to - both do's AND dont's.

Each person and situation is different. As the founder of an insurance mentoring company (Inspire a Nation Business Mentoring) I can tell you that how successful you are as a mentee/protege completely depends on how mentally and emotionally prepared you are to be mentored. If you are mentally ready you will find the lesson in everything your mentor shares with you. I firmly believe that the best mentors are the ones that have already accomplished the goals that you are trying to reach. The best thing a real mentor can do for you is teach you the shortcuts and the most effective ways to reach your goals and the only way they can guide you down a path is if they already traveled that same path.

Another older fellow who came here form another agency I have gotten close with as well. This morning he saw an article on the Ashley Madison scandal & said: "Thirty million people cheating on their spouses.... Anyone who wants more than one is crazy"
:laugh:

Last edited:
Back