More insurance brokers would choose traditional Medicare over Medicare Advantage: Report

What type of Medicare would you choose for yourself?

• Original Medicare with Medigap / PDP

Votes: 40 67.8%
  • Medicare Advantage (MAPD)

Votes: 19 32.2%

• Total voters
But what about the other parts of Georgia?

I'm in Albany. Two hundred miles south of Atlanta. Population around 80,000. Only one hospital.

But everything Somarco posted is happening here. No Anthem and no UHC. Two of the biggest in the state and nobody will take them.

Your statement is not true . I work 25 small rural countys in Ga and Sc . 99% of the drs in all those countys either take Humana or United . Throw in Wellcare and Aetna and almost all take some form of mapd . You mentioned Anthem. I’ve never sold a mapd with them as their insignificant in the mapd mkt in Ga . Their network is crap . I work all the way to Macon and all networks stacked .

I got friends who work S .Ga and networks tremendous. In your county in Albany Phoebe in network with Humana . They offer every plan . United only has 1 plan in your area . Aetna has all offerings there . I’m willing to bet Phoebe being tough on reimbursement and some carriers shied away. Ga has one of the highest % of mapd in the country . If I recall it’s in the 53% range. So most drs forced to take . Mapd has some Pre authorization issues no doubt . But it’s what the people want .

Your statement is not true
What the hell, I'll bite.

First of all, I only mentioned two companies. BCBS and UHC. So we can take Aetna, Humana and Wellcare off the table. Although I was really referring to Albany and what I see going on here, we can include other south GA counties if it will help you out. But Macon, Nope Macon is Middle GA. So we're leaving them out.

You've pretty much agreed with me that BCBS is a load of crap so let's take them off too. That leaves UHC and you're right they've only got one plan that shows up on Connecture and Sunfire. Last year they had two.

But Phoebe is not in UHC's network. And the one plan they offer is a PPO.

You also said you sell here and have friends that sell here. But how many of you live here or go to the doctors here? I do.

Call one of the local physician groups here in Albany and tell them you want to register as a new patient. The first question they'll ask is what kind of insurance do you have. Tell them MA and the next thing you'll hear is that they're not accepting new patients. Call back the next day and tell them Original Medicare and you're in. Again not all of them but more than you'd think. How do I know? I've done it.

As far as your last comment saying that MA is what people want, that's only half true. It has every thing to do with the market you work. My market doesn't want it.

My market is middle to upper income. Business owners and corporate types. I don't do lower income. My prospects don't ask about food cards or sneakers and such. They don't want it. In fact one of my life clients could care less about gym memberships. He owns the damn gym.

What the hell, I'll bite.

First of all, I only mentioned two companies. BCBS and UHC. So we can take Aetna, Humana and Wellcare off the table. Although I was really referring to Albany and what I see going on here, we can include other south GA counties if it will help you out. But Macon, Nope Macon is Middle GA. So we're leaving them out.

You've pretty much agreed with me that BCBS is a load of crap so let's take them off too. That leaves UHC and you're right they've only got one plan that shows up on Connecture and Sunfire. Last year they had two.

But Phoebe is not in UHC's network. And the one plan they offer is a PPO.

You also said you sell here and have friends that sell here. But how many of you live here or go to the doctors here? I do.

Call one of the local physician groups here in Albany and tell them you want to register as a new patient. The first question they'll ask is what kind of insurance do you have. Tell them MA and the next thing you'll hear is that they're not accepting new patients. Call back the next day and tell them Original Medicare and you're in. Again not all of them but more than you'd think. How do I know? I've done it.

As far as your last comment saying that MA is what people want, that's only half true. It has every thing to do with the market you work. My market doesn't want it.

My market is middle to upper income. Business owners and corporate types. I don't do lower income. My prospects don't ask about food cards or sneakers and such. They don't want it. In fact one of my life clients could care less about gym memberships. He owns the damn gym.

Valdosta , Tift county , Warner Robbins , Lowndes county all great mapd mkts . Kudo’s to you selling all Med sup in the Albany area . It’s a very poor county . If your working business owners and corp type then med sup the way . But that’s a very small slice of the overall Medicare mkt .In 5yrs almost every hospital and dr will be forced to take mapd.

In 5yrs almost every hospital and dr will be forced to take mapd.
I hope you're right. I'm more concerned about a different scenario. Medicare for All. And it may come before five years is up.

After all, everyone said we'd never have socialized health care. But we do.

Any way, give um hell and write em all.

.In 5yrs almost every hospital and dr will be forced to take mapd.

WHO will enforce it?

PDP is regulated by CMS but there are pharmacy's that do not take all drug plans . . . will drug stores be required to take any and all drug plans?

I hope you're right. I'm more concerned about a different scenario. Medicare for All. And it may come before five years is up.

After all, everyone said we'd never have socialized health care. But we do.

Any way, give um hell and write em all.

We have had socialized health insurance since the mid 90s. A true free market has not existed in health insurance since the 80s.

We have had socialized health insurance since the mid 90s. A true free market has not existed in health insurance since the 80s.
Sounds like you and I have different definitions for socialized health insurance. I was referring to Obamacare. No underwriting. One size fits all. Etc.

Call it what you want.

Sounds like you and I have different definitions for socialized health insurance. I was referring to Obamacare. No underwriting. One size fits all. Etc.

Call it what you want.

GI has been around for most full-time employed US citizens since the 60s.

When small businesses started to proliferate in the 80s/90s/, GI was enacted for them too.

Obamacare just evened the playing field for those who work for themselves or are considered part-time employees.

Back