More insurance brokers would choose traditional Medicare over Medicare Advantage: Report

What type of Medicare would you choose for yourself?

• Original Medicare with Medigap / PDP

Votes: 40 67.8%
  • Medicare Advantage (MAPD)

Votes: 19 32.2%

• Total voters
GI has been around for most full-time employed US citizens since the 60s.

That statement is (mostly) true if you have a coverage option through your employer. Exceptions may occur if the group is small, typically less than 10 employees, where health questions are required.

"GI" for individual health insurance did not exist in most states until 2014 when Obamacare became the rule.

That statement is (mostly) true if you have a coverage option through your employer. Exceptions may occur if the group is small, typically less than 10 employees, where health questions are required.

"GI" for individual health insurance did not exist in most states until 2014 when Obamacare became the rule.

All of those comments were covered in the part you left out of my quote... not sure what your point is?

For those under 65, Group Health makes up something like 70% of coverage among those with full time employment. That certainly counts as "most".

The "socialization" everyone complains about with Ocare only affected 30% of the market. The other 70% had already been socialized for decades.

All of those comments were covered in the part you left out of my quote... not sure what your point is?

For those under 65, Group Health makes up something like 70% of coverage among those with full time employment. That certainly counts as "most".

The "socialization" everyone complains about with Ocare only affected 30% of the market. The other 70% had already been socialized for decades.

It affected 100% of the market as far as rates go

Elaborated in the part you left out of my comment . . . employees of small group plans still subject to medical underwriting in many situations.

Based on data from the U.S. Census Bureau, there were 6.1 million employer firms in the United States in 2019

Firms with fewer than 10 employees accounted for 78.5%.

When nonemployer businesses are taken into account – there were 26.5 million in 2018 (latest data) – the share of U.S. businesses with fewer than 20 workers increases to 98.0% and the share with fewer than 10 employees registers 96.0%.
https://sbecouncil.org/about-us/facts-and-data

I believe those percentages could be considered "most", especially when adding in non-working adults not covered by taxpayer funded health insurance (CHIP, Medicaid, Medicare, VA and other military health plans etc

Elaborated in the part you left out of my comment . . . employees of small group plans still subject to medical underwriting in many situations.

Based on data from the U.S. Census Bureau, there were 6.1 million employer firms in the United States in 2019

Firms with fewer than 10 employees accounted for 78.5%.

When nonemployer businesses are taken into account – there were 26.5 million in 2018 (latest data) – the share of U.S. businesses with fewer than 20 workers increases to 98.0% and the share with fewer than 10 employees registers 96.0%.
https://sbecouncil.org/about-us/facts-and-data

I believe those percentages could be considered "most", especially when adding in non-working adults not covered by taxpayer funded health insurance (CHIP, Medicaid, Medicare, VA and other military health plans etc

Bob, small groups have GI if they have 2 full time employees.

I am assuming we are talking about qualified health plans and not some sh*t short term or indemnity policy... which yes, are still subject to UW.

---

Also, the percentage of businesses is not the same as the percentage of employees employed by those businesses. However its really a moot point since small groups have GI...

Bob, small groups have GI if they have 2 full time employees.

I am assuming we are talking about qualified health plans and not some sh*t short term or indemnity policy... which yes, are still subject to UW.

Not if they go the "level funding" route. Well. I guess its still GI, but then you are dealing with rates based on UW

Not if they go the "level funding" route. Well. I guess its still GI, but then you are dealing with rates based on UW

Yep. Still GI.

But I was mainly speaking about traditional fully funded plans. Either way, still GI.

Level funding still scares me for very small groups. One big claim seems like it could blow up the whole thing and cause a huge spike in rates.... I guess they can switch to fully funded then if that happened.... my rep is even pitching it for 2 person firms, not a lot of wiggle room there...

Not a chance in hell that I am doing level funded for groups under 25. And I don't have many groups with more than 10 employees, much less 25+. I told me rep to stop talking to me about it. Then she tried to argue with me, so I told her that I had owned an agency when she was still in elementary school and I would still be playing this game when she was on the 3rd rung of the ladder-and every level funded group had gotten burned.

Not a chance in hell that I am doing level funded for groups under 25. And I don't have many groups with more than 10 employees, much less 25+. I told me rep to stop talking to me about it. Then she tried to argue with me, so I told her that I had owned an agency when she was still in elementary school and I would still be playing this game when she was on the 3rd rung of the ladder-and every level funded group had gotten burned.

Curious as to why no level funded groups? I have a few. All fairly healthy. All getting a refund every year while saving a substantial amount over fully-insured plans. All of mine are with Aetna. What don't I know that I should know?

Back