More insurance brokers would choose traditional Medicare over Medicare Advantage: Report

What type of Medicare would you choose for yourself?

• Original Medicare with Medigap / PDP

Votes: 40 67.8%
  • Medicare Advantage (MAPD)

Votes: 19 32.2%

• Total voters
dude really pulled up a post from 5 months ago to shit on agents who sell mapd... smh

Just sucks getting stereotyped into a group who do wrong for our clients and only care about the commissions. Been doing this well over 20 years and all my clients seem satisfied and seem to like me. I lose very few other then to death. I just don’t see what’s wrong with showing someone all their options and letting them choose.

Just sucks getting stereotyped into a group who do wrong for our clients and only care about the commissions. Been doing this well over 20 years and all my clients seem satisfied and seem to like me. I lose very few other then to death. I just don’t see what’s wrong with showing someone all their options and letting them choose.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Yeah, but I actually said exclusively OR their GO TO product.

Based on things I see those that use MAPD as their default product do so because . . .

They earn a higher FYC on MAPD vs Medigap
More opportunity to x-sell other lines
They don't have to ask the prospect for money up front
They don't understand how access to care might be a "thing" for some folks
They don't really understand the downside risk of MAPD as a 24/7 lifetime option
They know how to say "Would you rather pay $100+ per month or $0?"
They never learned how to ask questions to find out what the prospect wants

They really don't know how to offer a plan that is not managed care, has a premium, and doesn't have non-health insurance add-on cover

I don’t know who THEY are but I only see Telesales agents doing this. I know zero agents who sell MAPD do any of the above. Plus I make the same amount of money on med Supp or MAPD.
I do know that any med Supp only OR MAPD only agent is shortsighted.

I don’t know who THEY are but I only see Telesales agents doing this. I know zero agents who sell MAPD do any of the above. Plus I make the same amount of money on med Supp or MAPD.
I do know that any med Supp only OR MAPD only agent is shortsighted.

I do all my business over the phone and I don’t do this…

Not once did I mention Cost plans in my post.

Never said you did, but you seem to prefer them over Medigap, so, even though they are not offered in my area I am interested in learning more from someone who sells them.

If you don't want to answer my questions, no problem.

Of course you are still talking about "high priced" Medigap even though I never once mentioned price in my post.

I also never bring it up when discussing OPTIONS with prospects. Most folks I talk to already have an idea of the premiums . . . and most already know they want the G plan.

So we talk about how OM + Medigap works and leave it at that.

A few days ago a fellow called who wanted me to help him find a Medigap plan. He has a number of health issues and very little money.

I shifted the discussion to SSI, Extra Help & Medicaid. I sent links on how to apply for Medicaid and inquire about the other things.

He called back yesterday and said he is waiting on answers for those programs and asked me to find him a low premium PDP and Medigap.

I told him he would be better off with Medicaid and, if he can get it, SSI and Extra Help. He asked again for a low premium plan, so I quoted the lowest premium PDP ($7) and said it had a $505 deductible, then quoted $50 for a Medigap plan with a $2600 deductible, and Part B premium of $166.

He said he can't afford that or afford to pay his bills if he got sick on those plans. Once more I said try to get Medicaid, etc and then if you still need help, call me back.

So now you had some time to think about my questions. Do you want to answer them or still play games?

I don’t know who THEY are but I only see Telesales agents doing this. I know zero agents who sell MAPD do any of the above.

There are 49 states that are not Florida, and Florida is a unique market in many ways, but I still maintain there are agents in other states that sell only MAPD, or rarely, if ever, mention Medigap except to say "You can't afford it".

Never said you did, but you seem to prefer them over Medigap, so, even though they are not offered in my area I am interested in learning more from someone who sells them.

If you don't want to answer my questions, no problem.

Of course you are still talking about "high priced" Medigap even though I never once mentioned price in my post.

I also never bring it up when discussing OPTIONS with prospects. Most folks I talk to already have an idea of the premiums . . . and most already know they want the G plan.

So we talk about how OM + Medigap works and leave it at that.

A few days ago a fellow called who wanted me to help him find a Medigap plan. He has a number of health issues and very little money.

I shifted the discussion to SSI, Extra Help & Medicaid. I sent links on how to apply for Medicaid and inquire about the other things.

He called back yesterday and said he is waiting on answers for those programs and asked me to find him a low premium PDP and Medigap.

I told him he would be better off with Medicaid and, if he can get it, SSI and Extra Help. He asked again for a low premium plan, so I quoted the lowest premium PDP ($7) and said it had a $505 deductible, then quoted $50 for a Medigap plan with a $2600 deductible, and Part B premium of $166.

He said he can't afford that or afford to pay his bills if he got sick on those plans. Once more I said try to get Medicaid, etc and then if you still need help, call me back.

So now you had some time to think about my questions. Do you want to answer them or still play games?

Don’t see any reasons to answer your questions bc you are so set in your ways you will just find a reason to bash Cost Plans and why I shouldn’t offer them. Go on quoting software and put in a zip code in the States you listed and you can look at all the Cost Plans you want. Maybe Midwest people just get it more then GA people or maybe it’s the person presenting the options swaying them one way or another. Either way I will continue to show all 3 options like I have been. You have no idea how we conduct our business or meetings so to generalize all agents who have a heavier book of MA business into your one little post is BS.

Last edited:
Back