Moving to L.A. to Live with Cousin- Auto Insurance Questions

I have decided to move from Georgia to Los Angeles before the end of the year to live with my cousin and her family for an undetermined length of time. Basically, I'm planning to spend at least 6-8 weeks minimum looking for a job (I am actually and insurance agent in GA and I'm already studying for my CA license). If I find a job, I'll stay for at least another 3-6 months then decide if I want to make it a permanent move or return to Georgia....

I've already double checked with my insurance company and re-read my entire auto policy. I can stay there for six full months without notifying them and making any changes to the policy. At least if it the vehicle actually belonged to me! Technically, the car I'm taking (2006 Madza3) was re-titled in my mom's name and added to her policy last year when I bought another car that I actually just sold a few days ago.

Still, the 2006 Mazda3 is legally my mom's property and it is insured on her auto policy (same auto insurer as me, and I still have a DOC (Driver Other Cars) Liability Policy to prevent a lapse since I currently don't own a vehicle). If I drive it L.A. and stay for more than six months, it will still be her property regardless of the location. I am listed as the primary driver on that car on her policy already. I thought that she might just change the garaging location from her home in GA to my cousin's in CA but our insurer doesn't do business in CA so that wouldn't work...I strongly prefer to stay with the current insurer (Auto-Owners). If I drove over the Nevada border every 5.5months, would that technically mean the car didn't stay in CA for more than six months at any one period?

AS much as I hate to do it, I'm thinking that we just won't say anything. If I have were to have a claim in CA, it will be reported that I'm visiting for a while....and that would be the end of it.

Here's my bigger concern- My car will not be driven much once I'm out there. I fly out there several times during the year to visit and to give her a break from MOM duty (she's 54, with three adopted special-needs kids (twin boy/girl age 11, boy 14). She also is still recovering from a near fatal battle with Inflammatory Breast Cancer and I love to give her a break! So I'll be driving her 2008 Lexus GX470 SUV 90% of the time anyway.

Since I plan to be there for more than a few months, should she and her husband add me as a driver on their policy for the Lexus? What are the pros/cons of doing so? BTW, I am 38, spotless driving record/CLUE report, single, male, Grad degree, insurance professional....and credit is a non-issue in CA for auto policies per law.

Thoughts, input or advice are welcome and appreciated!

In Florida, the insurance companies want all household members listed (because of PIP) and anyone outside the household that would be frequently operating the vehicle. The definition of frequency seems to be defined differently between companies. (i.e. for than 5 times a month, more than 12 times a year, etc.)

The only way around it would be if you lied about how frequently you operate the vehicle. Seems a bit unethical, but that's your call.

At your age, it might not even affect the rate that much.

That's for the Lexus. The other stuff can be up in the air. They're gonna go by what garaging location is on the policy, so unless you actually change it to some address in Nevada, it'll still be there for more than 6 months.

Each company handles the multi-state thing differently. Some of our companies don't want you if you spend more than 2 months in another state.

Last edited:
Back