Multi-Line Agencies....Looking Towards The Future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny how you didn't chastise "James" as well. Just me.

From your mouth to God's ear, right?

Al

Because James did not start it. What are you going to title the new thread? How about - Al's Kool Aid Stand. ;)

...and Judas kissed Jesus, right?

Last edited:
Because James did not start it. What are you going to title the new thread?

...and Judas kissed Jesus, right?

Actually YOU started it. Everyone is wishing this guy 'good luck' and thanking him for going. I think one can infer that they support his endeavor... and thus the war.

I'm telling him to not go and that no one cares.

You and James are not happy with that.

Fine with me. Whatever floats your boat.

But please don't tell me that YOURS is the only viewpoint allowed to be expressed here, because that is simply not true.

Al

Al, no - it's not the only view point. Here is a young man getting ready to go off to war. I wish him all the best and am truly thankful that he and his brothers are willing and able to serve our country. I did not go into my personal opinion of whether or not I think the war is right or wrong.

Like I said, if you want to state your anti war position, it would be better to start a new thread - I edited my last post to include a title for you. "Al's Kool Aid Stand". ;)

You could have simply stated your position without going into a Tokyo Rose/Jane Fonda rant. How about something like - "while I do not support the reasoning behind the war, I wish you God speed and good luck. Stay safe". I know that you are a skilled writer, and I do not mean to put words in your mouth but something along those lines would have gotten your point across without being insulting and inflammatory. You were both - and yes, you CAN support OUR troops without supporting the war - it sounds like you are ready to spit on the troops when they come home, or protest over their graves if such ill fate befalls them because anything less would mean that you support the war. BTW, we have an all VOLUNTEER military, the days of the draft are over. A person does not volunteer to serve in the military and go to war only if they agree with it. Many of us have lost family and friends to wars past, and although I miss them dearly, I am proud of their service and keep their memories close to my heart. Right or wrong, they did what their country asked of them.

The way I interpret your original statement is "Stay safe, I think you and your brothers are suckers, pawns and fools - go ahead and die to prove my point". You may not have meant it that way, but that is the impression. Totally uncalled for.

If you want to live in the land of OZ, fine. Your is not the only view point either. To Natem2112, I say........."pay no attention to the man behind that curtain". Do your duty with pride and honor, thank you.

Al, I enjoy reading many of your posts - but if you want to make a point about the war or any of your other lib views, please make a new thread - it would be more readily assessable and easier to find if placed under an appropriate title. It would also invite more viewpoints geared toward that particular mind frame. I don't think many people will be inspired to reply to your views while researching "Multi-Line Agencies". I will look forward to your opinions and the replies to them at that time. I'm done posting about this under this thread. I'm sure you understand.

Last edited:
Al, no - it's not the only view point. Here is a young man getting ready to go off to war. I wish him all the best and am truly thankful that he and his brothers are willing and able to serve our country.

I don't think he is serving the best long-term interests of the country and I think 60% the people in the country agree with me. But 40% do agree with you... and only history will tell which of us is right... but if the past is prologue, I think it will be my side and not yours that history will judge to have been correct. It's Vietnam all over again. People say it isn't, but they never explain why.

I did not go into my personal opinion of whether or not I think the war is right or wrong.
I didn't either. I simply said we've lost and that whatever sacrifices that have or will be made... are in vain... are for nothing.

Like I said, if you want to state your anti war position, it would be better to start a new thread - I edited my last post to include a title for you. "Al's Kool Aid Stand".
Point taken, but I didn't see this as a debate on whether or not the war is right or wrong, but whether we will win or lose. This man is going to war and I think he should consider whether it is worth it... not if the cause is just or right or popular. I'm only asking him to give it one more thought. He's going to do what he wants anyway... and that's how it should be. No one wants the draft back... but if it DID come back, this war would be "over" in a long weekend!

You could have simply stated your position without going into a Tokyo Rose/Jane Fonda rant. How about something like - "while I do not support the reasoning behind the war, I wish you God speed and good luck. Stay safe".
I don't want him killed. I don't even want him to go! You're the one who seems to be saying that "Hey if you do get killed, it's OK with me and I appreciate the sacrifice." It's NOT OK with me if he gets killed because I think it will be for nothing.

I know that you are a skilled writer, and I do not mean to put words in your mouth but something along those lines would have gotten your point across without being insulting and inflammatory.
I'm sure that if you agreed with me, you would not be calling me 'insulting' or 'inflammatory.' I was nothing of the kind. I simply stated what to me is the obvious. The war is lost. If you wish to convince me that it isn't and that we should continue, my mind is open. Talk to me. Tell how in this will end... and when.

You were both - and yes, you CAN support OUR troops without supporting the war
How do you do that? You say "Sure, go off to war and get killed if you want to?" Is that your idea of supporting the troops but being against the war. Everyone says we can support the troops and not the war. How do you do that and keep a straight face.... or better yet keep from crying when you see the coffins. Tell me. I'd like to know.

- it sounds like you are ready to spit on the troops when they come home, or protest over their graves if such ill fate befalls them because anything less would mean that you support the war.
I respect their choice to go off to Iraq. I think it is a mistake. In my day we had a choice as well... either enlist or get drafted... or evade. I look back in history and I think those (like President Clinton) who chose not to go to Vietnam made the better choice.

Right or wrong, they did what their country asked of them.
Well that's where you and I differ. I don't blindly follow anyone. I think for myself. I saw the names of 69,000 young men on a wall who "did what their country asked of them" and I ask "Why? What good came of it."

The way I interpret your original statement is "Stay safe, I think you and your brothers are suckers, pawns and fools - go ahead and die to prove my point". You may not have meant it that way, but that is the impression. Totally uncalled for.
You know, you are not that far from where I am. I don't think they are 'suckers" but I think they are deluded in that there is some kind of glory or some kind of 'good' that will come from whatever sacrifice they may make. To be perfectly honest with you I believe in the ancient Hindu principle of a warrior class. There are people who simply 'like' to fight and who 'like' a military life. I'm not saying that people should not go to Iraq, but that they should go for the right reasons... that it is a personal decision... that they either believe in the war or because they want to see some 'action.' But the fact remains is that we are not going to win this war. If we are, tell me how? I'll listen. It's not a question of the war being right or wrong. It's whether it is won or lost.

If you want to live in the land of OZ, fine. Your is not the only view point either. To Natem2112, I say........."pay no attention to the man behind that curtain". Do your duty with pride and honor, thank you.
I share that.... or most of that. I say "Think about WHY you are going and whether you are willing to give your life or limb for a lost cause and one that will mean nothing." If the answer is 'yes' than he should go. Fine with me.

Al

"I support the Troops but not the War"

I do agree with Al on that I don't think that is possible! If you don't support the mission than obviously you can't support the people doing the mission.

Iraq unlike Vietnam, the world will not be allowed to turn their heads on Iraq, oh you may like to do that but it simply not possible. First you have Oil, yes like it or not Oil is what drives the World's Economy. We pull out and Iran rushes in finance by China and Russia, they be more than happy to set up a tyrannical rule state and collect the oil from Iraq without a problem of any thought of consciousness.

Now you have that Nation we call Iran just above Iraq and you have Isreal not far away. Obviously the Middle East has the potential of dragging the World into all out World War, only an *** would say lets leave and have nothing to do with it. Much like we did when Germany started building up and swallowing up lands or Japan taking over Island Nations in the Pacific and the Coast of China, many said the same back than, leave it alone. Well, obviously we left it alone and turn our backs on Poland and said it was for the best while millions died at the hands of ruthless maniacs, much like we now see in Iran and their rhetoric.

We can not leave Iraq and everyone basically knows that, even the more level headed lib's and Libertarians are saying to pull out but stay close! Yea, let it go to hell in a handbag and than go back in when it get so bad it threatens to spill over to Saudi or other nations such as Turkey. We are seeing progress, while not as quick for the "Instant Gradifacation" crowd but we still have troops in Germany and Japan some 60 years later! Our troops were dieing and dealing with radicals in both of those nations 5 years after their fall and NYT's and the usual liberal people were screaming the same thing than, pull out, get out it aint worth it. Well, I wouldn't imagine any of them defending that talk today, in fact they suggest that it was a different time. Yea right, they were dumbasses than as they are now.

Well that's where you and I differ. I don't blindly follow anyone. I think for myself. I saw the names of 69,000 young men on a wall who "did what their country asked of them" and I ask "Why? What good came of it."

I share that.... or most of that. I say "Think about WHY you are going and whether you are willing to give your life or limb for a lost cause and one that will mean nothing." If the answer is 'yes' than he should go. Fine with me.

This almost is painful, but I agree with Al's position on the war itself. However, the choice of this thread to discuss it was absolutely wrong.

The difference between the men and women going to Iraq is that they are all volunteers to serve the country. Most of the troops in Vietnam were drafted. They did not volunteer to fight and die.

He should go to Iraq because that's what he agreed to do. I have nothing but the utmost respect for everyone fighting there. I may disagree with the reason they are there, but that has nothing to do with my feeling for them as people.

This thread really needs to either get back on track or be closed. We can debate our government's actions in another thread.

Good luck to our heros.

Rick

Last edited:
Wow, when I got a notification to my e-mail inbox that there was a reply to this thread, I really didn't expect to find the waters in a froth so to speak...

First off, I just wanted to really throw out a parting shot to some of you guys who I have talked to during the past 6 months or longer. This forum is still by far the best place I've been able to learn about the insurance business, even better then going to a NAIFA meeting I would say. Even though I've been licensed going on 5 years I still have a lot to learn, and we all know how hard it is to learn and pick up the actually useful knowledge that can make the difference between making it or not.

Between insurance companies trying to train us to say that their products and only their products is the best on the market to offer, from FMO's promising us the world if we sign whatever contracts they have there is no lack of shortage of useless fluff to sift through. A forum like this is invaluable to cut through the %$&^(% and find out through a virtual round table what we really need to know.

Of course since we have such a large number of different people from all different area's of the country and all different walks of life with different belief systems there is bound to be a few disagreements.

Which is fine, after all if we all really believed in the same thing and had the same ideals, what need would there be to have a venue such as this?

Isn't variety the stuff of life?

But regardless, I enlisted in the Marines during a time of war, and if I enlisted in this illustrious branch of our armed forces expecting to simply go through their schools and do nothing with the training, then I would be a fool...I am not a fool though, this is something that I expected to happen and my family has been expecting to happen.

It doesn't matter if you agree with the politics of a war as a Marine, it's not as if you can simply decide if you would really like to "Sit this one out, if you don't really mind; sir?"

Saddam DID need to be taken care of, and those who say otherwise need to reexamine their knowledge.

Is the war taking longer then necessary? Yes.

Can you always determine how long before a war should be over? No.

Did we probably assume on faulty Intel that they had WMMDs? Most likely.

Have a lot of fine American solders and Marines died fighting for a country where it seems as if their sacrifice goes unnoticed? Absolutely!

Should we just leave the Regine and get the hell out of Dodge and let them sort it out for themselves. No.

That would be immature as a nation.

I've got a job to do, and I'm going to do it to the best of my abilities. It's my decision and it's not because I'm all gung-ho or ready to jump into a suicide mission, but it's because it's the way I want to live my way as a man.

I feel that just like there were hundreds of thousands who have given up their time and sacrificed their chance for a normal life to ensure that we always have the freedoms that we take so granted. If I were to run off to Canada or elsewhere to shirk my responsibilities I don't believe I could ever look at myself again in the mirror.

However I may or may not feel about this war in Iraq, the fact remains that we are still ridding a nation of filth and attempting to makes some good out of it, if we should fail, then so be it, at least we attempted. And at least we are keeping the fight over there instead of on our streets.

There is good people everywhere in every nation just as there are evil. Remember that all we need to do for those evil people to triumph is for the good people to do nothing.

Sorry if I got a bit in your cage, but I just wanted everyone to be perfectly clear of my reasoning, and to not assume that I was motivated by some apparent lack of common sense.

And who knows, when I get back I can give a better idea of what is really happening over there?

I might be able to check in every now and then and I look forward to talking shop though when I get back.

God Bless.

Al, this was neither the time or place for you to post your lib rant. If you want to do that, then start a new thread - I'm sure it will be a HOT topic. Show some class and respect.

I totally agree. This is neither the time nor the place to post such crap. Al's post is one of the most hurtful posts I have seen on this board.

Nate is putting himself in harms way for something many of us believe in and should not be referred to as a fool for doing so.

Nate,

You will be in our thoughts and prayers. Thanks for helping keep this country free where everyone is entitled to an opinion. It has been a privilege to have you on the board.

Agree with James - God bless you and your family!

And, sadly, history will show that this is another European mess (remember how Iraq, along with so many other countries around the world) we're cleaning up. Of course it's a tough road ahead, and yet the truly courageous showed no fear when volunteering. That took endless courage, no matter what anyone says.

And to think that sometimes I am intimidated by my own phone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back