My Assurant (Consumer - not Agent) Story

And I am relatively certain that it isn't me that is unwilling to go through underwriting. I thought since it had been 5 1/2 years since my husband's cancer diagnosis and he has been cancer free for five years, that he could be medically underwritten. The same length of time has transpired since my son's tumor and he is healthy now also.

At the risk of repeating myself, it is possible all three of you could be underwritten and approved . . . or not. Depends on the type of cancer, staging, treatment, etc.

Same for your son's medical issues.

Assurant told me they had nothing else to offer.

And you believed them.

That may be true, or not.

It could be that was all they had to offer that did not require underwriting.

Or . . . it was all they were willing to offer.

You may never know.

But this much is true. You will almost certainly be better off with another carrier and a clean slate.

I received word this morning that the applications for individual Highmark PPO Blue 1200 deductible policies for myself and my son were approved and will be issued.

We are still waiting to hear about the Highmark PPO Blue 1200 deductible GI policy for my husband....but I assume that Guaranteed Issue means just that.

I thank everyone who responded to my post and answered my questions. I received an education and have enjoyed our conversation. Thank you for all your help and advice....I'll probably hang around for a while and continue reading on this forum, as I have found it fascinating.

Thanks again - pipedream

Pipedream - I just wanted to compliment your professionalism despite a bad scenario and rough situation. I think you presented the story and yourself in a respectable manner.

Pipedream - I just wanted to compliment your professionalism despite a bad scenario and rough situation. I think you presented the story and yourself in a respectable manner.

I agree...

I only skimmed this thread and I'm sure this was mentioned, but the silver lining to your experience with Assurant is that your claims were paid. Granted, you had issues with the policy being changed and increased, but you definitely came out ahead big time in this... Thank goodness you weren't on a Mega or UA plan...

Your situation is bad because you can not switch carriers with major pre existing issues.

I challenge you to find me Assurant customers on the books for 4 to 10 years that are satisfied with their rates. I have customers on BCBS and Unicare from the first week I was in the business. Their rates are higher but they are close to street level fir the most part.[/QUOTE]

As long as she switches carriers within a specified time period, sixty some days after discontinues prior carrier, doesn't she get around exclusions for pre-existing conditions? And if she switches directly, doesn't she get around exclusions for pre-existing conditions? I'm going back to the text book to check. I am licensed in Wisconsin, so maybe we have stronger protections here, if I''m not completely off base, which I may be.

Back