My Experience With Cold Calling

Christopher Davis

It's terrible, and we all know it is. But here's the thing - it doesn't have to be.

Back when I was cold calling about five years ago, whenever I would hop on the phone to sell insurance, I never asked if the person needed a new policy right off the bat. I'd generally start out with a "hey, it's Chris from My Insurance Co., how is business going for you?" or something more friendly and from there, I would get to know who I am calling better.

After a few minutes of discussion, I would then ask if they had a few minutes to talk about insurance. In some cases, it is best to get to know how their certain policies are holding up before asking, because cold calling will almost never work if the person you reach out to is satisfied with their current policy.

Also, do NOT compare your agency to their current one - they will see this as your agency trying to simply compete against another. You will want to state why your agency is best for THEIR needs and how it can offer the best policy for THEM. Since you have already gotten to know them a bit, you can also ask if they have any specific needs and let them know what will (and won't) work.

Last, understand that cold calling is not going to work with everyone. It is simply the nature of the best. Celebrate victory, but do not get discouraged by defeat, even if your cold calling method fails way more than it works. Also, don't consistently change your approach - stick to one method and ride it out.

In summary, make cold calling as friendly as possible. Get to know the person you're calling and be comfortable asking them questions about them and their business.

I'm interested to know if this helps anyone out, please let me know.

Cheers!

Great advice! Particularly if your product is seen as a commodity, such as P&C, health insurance, group insurance, term insurance, etc.

Just to share a different approach - I did this when I was at Combined Insurance selling supplemental health policies calling on business owners.

"Hello Mr. Big? This is DHK with Combined Insurance. My name probably doesn't ring a bell. May I take a quick minute to share with you why I called, and then you can decide if we should keep talking?"

(sure)

"The reason I'm calling is... you know how health insurance pays doctors and hospitals when you get sick or hurt and can't work?"

(wait for a response - 'yes')

"Well, our policies pay you. I'd like to stop by for 10 minutes to show you what I've got, and then you can decide for yourself."

(Is it AFLAC?)

"No, we're not AFLAC. One reason that usually comes up is because AFLAC requires a certain number of policies to be sold in every business. We work one-on-one, one-by-one, so there's no minimum requirement to work with us."

It's not the "most friendly" way to go, but it's far more direct. I'm not looking to "build relationships" but to solve problems and create an opportunity for people to want to buy from me. It's not about me - at least it shouldn't be. Either I have a value, or I don't.

I guess I'm more of a driver & analytical rather than amiable and expressive. :)

After a few minutes of discussion, I would then ask if they had a few minutes to talk about insurance.

I take more of the Claude Whitacre approach: "Hi I'm David with Guru Financial. I help folks accumulate as much money off the radar screen of the IRS as they like. But I only work with folks who don't like paying income taxes. Would you like to hear more?"

If yes, I continue, if no I say "thankyouverymuch" and get on to the next one.

I take more of the Claude Whitacre approach: "Hi I'm David with Guru Financial. I help folks accumulate as much money off the radar screen of the IRS as they like. But I only work with folks who don't like paying income taxes. Would you like to hear more?"

If yes, I continue, if no I say "thankyouverymuch" and get on to the next one.

Do you find that people are much more receptive to that approach, as opposed to the "traditional" cold call scripts?

Do you find that people are much more receptive to that approach, as opposed to the "traditional" cold call scripts?

It is a different salesman's mindset: I am not trying to persuade people to listen to my pitch. I am looking for people who are predisposed to be interested in what I am pitching. It is prospecting as sorting rather than prospecting as sumo wrestling a prospect into the seat across the desk. I want folks to raise their hand and volunteer to meet with me.

What DHK wrote there at the beginning is what I do on every call. I think I learned it from someone on the Warrior Forums. The very first thing you do is get them to agree to hear you out for 10 seconds! That's the first close! if you can't get them to agree to that, then thank them for their time and move on! I don't tell them anything until I got that cooperation from them first!

Reactions: DHK
I think you have very little time to get to the point of why the hell do they want to meet with a stranger. What's in it for them? And it better be good. No pleasantries or asking for a "couple minutes".
Spit it out, mvtherfvcker!:mad:

Back