My First Day

"Today, only 4.9 percent of Americans get insurance through the individual market"

An Unhealthy Individual Health Insurance Market

Something isn't adding up here...

The folks insured via employer plans is slightly less than 50% of the population, but lets call it 50%. The 47 mil uninsured represents 17%, and according to your source 5% buy their own plan... I would call that 72%, so where did the other 28% of our pop go...?

The number should in fact add up to more than 100% because it is quite feasible for an individual or a family unit to show up in more than one category, or even all three, within a given year... But something is surely a miss here; what is it...? Bad info... Bad interpretation... or the old adage: Figures lie and liars figure.

Bad info... Bad interpretation... or the old adage: Figures lie and liars figure.

Yeah, that must be it.

Surely nobody else could have numbers anywhere close to accurate compared to your "swagged out of the air" ones...

Do you work this market actively?

So say it's 10% - the point is that 9 to 10 times more people buy a MedSupp/MA than do ifp.

Where can I get a list of small businesses?

Call Steve at The list company. 1-877-547-8261. He hooked me up with some data and it's working real well. He did the same for another guy I work with who sings his praises even more than I do.

Yeah, that must be it.

Surely nobody else could have numbers anywhere close to accurate compared to your "swagged out of the air" ones...

Do you work this market actively?

So say it's 10% - the point is that 9 to 10 times more people buy a MedSupp/MA than do ifp.

A little touchy here, aren't we mm...? Why so flippant; it is simply an attempt to understand the stats. They simply don't add up... You supplied some number from your article, (sounded too low to me). I did the same, maybe they are accurate and maybe not; they came from the internet, they gotta be good ones...

So you are saying that 90 (to 100%) of the 65+ pop buys med supp...? Surely there is more than 10% of those folks that can't afford a med supp. Sounds subjective to me. Are you just swagging these numbers up now...?

Yeah, I work the mkt actively, among other things. Not my sole duty or desire. So does that mean I can't have an opinion... or even an accurate opinion...?

So which is it.... 90-100% of 65+ have med supp. I would guess that it is less than < 90%...

So you are saying that 90 (to 100%) of the 65+ pop buys med supp...? Surely there is more than 10% of those folks that can't afford a med supp.

I threw Medicare Advantage in there too. I don't work this market, that's why you may note I posed it in the form of a question to an expert, Frank Stastny.

I guess these folks are liars (to use your word) too:

"Industry statistics show that roughly 5 percent of non-elderly Americans purchase individual health insurance policies"

'The individual health insurance market is still the wild, wild West' - Medical and Science News from The Plain Dealer - cleveland.com - Cleveland.com

I threw Medicare Advantage in there too. I don't work this market, that's why you may note I posed it in the form of a question to an expert, Frank Stastny.

I guess these folks are liars (to use your word) too:

"Industry statistics show that roughly 5 percent of non-elderly Americans purchase individual health insurance policies"

'The individual health insurance market is still the wild, wild West' - Medical and Science News from The Plain Dealer - cleveland.com - Cleveland.com

I see the source of your angst... You thought that I was calling you, or someone else here a liar... Not so...

Haven't you ever heard the old colloquialism used to describe those that produce figures... "Figures lie and liars figure" Often times mentioned of accountants, insurance agents selling whole life ins... :->, or any other dubious numbers... I was referring to those that produced the articles, both yours mine or any other that have figures...

For what it is worth, the only figures that I could find on those age 65+ that purchase Med supp were from 1996, well before MA. They listed (of course they may have lied), the percentage of those that have either group or purchase their own supp at just over 70%.

Its getting near martini time, relax...

Last edited:
Often times mentioned of insurance agents selling whole life ins..

Hahahahaha...that one ought to get some reaction from some folks here!:twitchy:

For what it is worth, the only figures that I could find on those age 65+ that purchase Med supp were from 1996, well before MA. They listed (of course they may have lied), the percentage of those that have either group or purchase their own supp at just over 70%.
I wonder if MA has decreased that significantly...

Its getting near martini time, relax...
Amen to that!

I think for the low hours put in, and the potential results, it was a great first day! You should be encouraged. If this keeps up as noted earlier, you'll have an awesome year!!

Keep up the good work, remain diligent and do not get discouraged!!

My second day went a little better than my first. I nearly doubled my call volume, just from having a better idea of how things would go and extra motivation to get through my list and find the diamonds in the rough. I'm going to have to learn to deal with people who seem like hot, hot prospects suddenly and inexplicably cooling off and turning away. I think that's a reflection on my inexperience in sales and my personal failure to keep them warm, and something I'll be able to fix soon. I've had my fiancee (a real estate agent who's no stranger to cold calls) sit in and listen to a few calls, and her advice is already helping me to keep people on the line longer and get them warmer. "No just means 'not yet.'" I think that's my new favorite bit of advice.

When the calls go poorly, it sucks. I feel like a beggar. But every time someone picks up the phone and I can actually help them, I really love it.

I must say, the feeling of writing the first app was very, very nice :)

Back