Need Advice from Agents in the Senior Market

007AgentFL

Hi Everyone,

I recently got hired by a insurance company that primarily serves the senior market. I went captive to get some experience, training and mentoring. I been working there for less then a month. My manager has over 10years worth of experience in the senior market is very helpful. He politely suggested numerous times that I should trim my hair even shorter saying it could be a potential distraction when I am in front of my clients, since our clients are what he says old fashioned. But prior to my 2nd interview I had long hair so i cut it short, because I wanted the job, right now it is very presentable just trendy kinda like adam lambert or something look. I look younger also with short hair (I miss my long hair made me look older, since I look young).

My question to any veterans out there that are in the senior market. Should I just do what he says and bite the bullet? I was always about being my self and being an individual, to a degree of being presentable and professional, but I do put my best effort and always ask for how I can always improve.

Last edited:
My 2 cents.

The majority of my clients can order off the senior menu. I wear what I want and do the business my own way. However,,,,,,,,, When I started I did whatever I was told. I needed a lot more help than a hair cut. It is only hair. It will grow back. Once you are a hitter, you can do what you want. I did. Get a hair cut.

Hi Everyone,

I recently got hired by a insurance company that primarily serves the senior market. I went captive to get some experience, training and mentoring. I been working there for less then a month. My manager has over 10years worth of experience in the senior market is very helpful. He politely suggested numerous times that I should trim my hair even shorter saying it could be a potential distraction when I am in front of my clients, since our clients are what he says old fashioned. But prior to my 2nd interview I had long hair so i cut it short, because I wanted the job, right now it is very presentable just trendy kinda like adam lambert or something look. I look younger also with short hair (I miss my long hair made me look older, since I look young).

My question to any veterans out there that are in the senior market. Should I just do what he says and bite the bullet? I was always about being my self and being an individual, to a degree of being presentable and professional, but I do put my best effort and always ask for how I can always improve.

That is a question that I guess only you can answer. Just how long is your hair? Below the shoulders, to the shoulders, or just trim and kind of "shaggy"?

If one is indpendently wealthy then who gives a damn what others think. However, if that isn't the case then you may want to consider what needs to be done to become wealthy.

Hair is something that will grow back for guys like you. Nothing pisses me off more that to go to get a hair cut, see a pic of a guy with a hair style I like and tell the "cutter" that I want that hair cut and have her laugh at me. I have a "crew" cut and most of the "crew" has bailed out. :D

Thank you so much for your advice WinoBlues and Frank Stastny.

As far as my hair, its short I guess you can say shaggy look or short surfer hair cut it does not go past my shoulders like it did before my interview xD. I'm guessing he wants me to cut it short like a military hair cut, which makes me look younger which I dont understand. Unless its to get rid of a ''trendy look''.

Thank you so much for your advice WinoBlues and Frank Stastny.

As far as my hair, its short I guess you can say shaggy look or short surfer hair cut it does not go past my shoulders like it did before my interview xD. I'm guessing he wants me to cut it short like a military hair cut, which makes me look younger which I dont understand. Unless its to get rid of a ''trendy look''.

When you first start you need every edge. After a short time you will know enough to wear your hair in a style that both does not detract from your business and still Rocks! Young guys should not have to look like old guys, But you are in a presentation type business.

I sometimes go on appointments in Jeans and Boots. I may have a cold beer or glass of wine while there. I guarantee you I did not do that when I started. Although it did not take long for me to start wearing boots once I started putting up the numbers. Do what your trainer suggest for now. Once you start putting up the numbers he will not care if you decide to rock a mullet. It grows back.

Good luck and go get um!

I think the most important thing that you guys are over looking is the need of a Fanny Pack and a pocket protector(you will get a lot more women too):). Seriously 007, if you don't have one of those then you might as well just quit now...

That is a question that I guess only you can answer. Just how long is your hair? Below the shoulders, to the shoulders, or just trim and kind of "shaggy"?

If one is indpendently wealthy then who gives a damn what others think. However, if that isn't the case then you may want to consider what needs to be done to become wealthy.

Hair is something that will grow back for guys like you. Nothing pisses me off more that to go to get a hair cut, see a pic of a guy with a hair style I like and tell the "cutter" that I want that hair cut and have her laugh at me. I have a "crew" cut and most of the "crew" has bailed out. :D

Frank its great that we can laugh at ourselves...My barber says I no longer have a forehead its currently a fivehead headed to a sixhead. :D

Frank its great that we can laugh at ourselves...My barber says I no longer have a forehead its currently a fivehead headed to a sixhead. :D

I know people who "can't laugh at themselves" and I feel real, real sorry for them.

I talked to an agent the other day and told him if he would take the stick out of his ass he would be a whole lot more successful.

Back