Need Advice Getting Started

rebiii

Hi,

I'm 55 and currently not working. I make a little money from Internet sales.

I got some emails to sell insurance with AIL, so I Googled them and found this forum.

Apparently AIL and other Torchmark companies are not the way to go.

My question is: What is a viable first step I can take to get into selling insurance?

My goal is a 10+ year career at the end of my working life.

I have 10 years of experience in fundraising for a non-profit. Most of what I did was cold call canvassing at doors, but I also did renewal and high-donor work in person and on the phone.

I have good customer service skills from retail and restaurant work. I have two college degrees, but I also worked in the Teamsters Union. I can establish a rapport with most people.

I do not have a wide social network. If selling life insurance depends on my network, I'm sunk!

What do people recommend I do? Should I call AIL? Is there a better tier of companies?

I read the sticky at the top of this subforum, but I got lost. I don't understand even simple terminology, like "term life insurance." I've never sold or bought life insurance. Think of me as the newest of newbies. But I'm a quick learner. And I won't hit a ceiling with computer and math skills as I get farther into it. I've just never done this before.

Best, Bob

1. The insurance industry is a business and/or industry. Don't look at it like a job. What that ultimately means, is that it's up to YOU to figure out this business for yourself.

If you answer an ad for a job, expect that they will pay you less in exchange for leads, mentoring/training (ha!), and/or both.

2. Prospecting is a SKILL that you learn. Many companies DO promote a "project 200" mentality of contacting all your friends and family... but if you don't build the skills to expand beyond that, your career will be cut short.

This is a video of a network marketing guy talking about some keys to unlimited prospects. I don't advocate or recommend network marketing... but there are some good thinkers and leaders out there with ideas that can be directly applied to our business.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats exactly true... No fear... You will have a better grip on what direction to go once you are through the licensing process and further interaction on the boards and other resources.

Thank you both. Looks like licensing is my next step. Appreciate the pointers.

Best, Bob

Last edited:
Great points here for you by DHK and BadTrout, if you end up narrowing down which pre-licensing course you like. Reach out to me I will save some money for ya with our discount depending on which one you choose!

Already licensed and searching for a quick turnaround on BASIC training and systems. Any help with resources, forum posts, anecdotal opinions would be great.

Hi,

I'm 55 and currently not working. I make a little money from Internet sales.

I got some emails to sell insurance with AIL, so I Googled them and found this forum.

Apparently AIL and other Torchmark companies are not the way to go.

My question is: What is a viable first step I can take to get into selling insurance?

My goal is a 10+ year career at the end of my working life.

I have 10 years of experience in fundraising for a non-profit. Most of what I did was cold call canvassing at doors, but I also did renewal and high-donor work in person and on the phone.

I have good customer service skills from retail and restaurant work. I have two college degrees, but I also worked in the Teamsters Union. I can establish a rapport with most people.

I do not have a wide social network. If selling life insurance depends on my network, I'm sunk!

What do people recommend I do? Should I call AIL? Is there a better tier of companies?

I read the sticky at the top of this subforum, but I got lost. I don't understand even simple terminology, like "term life insurance." I've never sold or bought life insurance. Think of me as the newest of newbies. But I'm a quick learner. And I won't hit a ceiling with computer and math skills as I get farther into it. I've just never done this before.

Best, Bob

I have some material on lead generation that I would be willing to share. Send me a message.

A lot depends on you. Are you OK with 40-60 hours a week? Are you better with the 55+ crowd? Do you like working nights or days? Can you commit to funding the 1st 2-3 years of your new career? Lots of questions

Have you looked at Final expense? Check my signature for a link and you can see if it's right for you.

Back