Never Pay for a Lead Again!

It doesn't apply to insurance agents of TN same thing for Texas we can go anywhere no permit required State Law trumps local.

Amyone know about OH on this. My city states that your suppost to have a solistors license at a tune of $100 plus a background check to boot before you can do D2D

Now before I got my L & H license I had to have a background check.

I've been door knocking for almost 10 years now........its how I was trained and wouldn't do it any other way.

I average around $250 in monthly premium per week, and have almost zero marketing costs.

Its been very profitable for me and will continue to be so.

Do you knock on any door going from one home to the next or do you get a list with filtered leads and drive around door knocking?

Crabcake Johnny said:
The reality of the situation is someone gets ticked they calls the cops. The cops tend not to interfere in civil cases but if no trespassing/no solicitation signs are posted I can tell you in all certainty (this was my living over 10 years) the cop will ask you to leave.

Don't leave and you'll be in the back of the police car arguing about your rights - then arguing about them at your bail hearing and when you "win" you still have an arrest record.

I was asking my state about this and town can have thier own ordinances that can be stricter than state law. What I have done is go to the local policy station let them know I am an insurance agent that will be canvassing. I provide them with my drivers lic# and car plate and if they get any calls about someone suspicious they can let the people know.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
mamaquilts said:
Amyone know about OH on this. My city states that your suppost to have a solistors license at a tune of $100 plus a background check to boot before you can do D2D

Now before I got my L & H license I had to have a background check.

My comment would be I have a license to solicit insurance issued by the state and have had a background check does your ordinance require that of people with state issued licenses?

Last edited:
Thanks to the Jehovah's Witness's there is a Supreme Court ruling that says canvassing without taking money is legal.

Churches use it to go d2d. I'll try to dig up the details from the ruling, but the way I remember it when I read it, as long as your not taking cash, you are allowed to canvass.

That's why the cold call survey from jmatos is gold. Your not selling anything. Your just doing a survey. The people that are interested are never gonna call the cops anyway.

This also works for those 55+ communities, I have used a survey in those areas and have never been run off. You just have to be tactful when doing this, and you can't spend all day at one community. Hit a few homes in one street and go to another one. Do this to a few streets and then find another one. In my area there is a lot of these communities so you can fill a day or part of one hitting up one of these.

Bumping this as I am starting to DK from a list and aged leads to supplement my TM leads. Wondering if any of these guys are still generating apps this way?

I am not, but thought about it. I moved on to med supps with a telemarketer (I have been absent the last two and half months), but I thought about doing a mail drop or two for fe (that's not[/B in the ghetto).
This is totally viable if your just starting out and you have more time than money. I will do another cold walking soon, atleast once a year for a week or two (just waiting on the doorhangers).

Bumping this as I am starting to DK from a list and aged leads to supplement my TM leads. Wondering if any of these guys are still generating apps this way?

I do, but I'm an information whore and have everyone on the streets name, age, income etc... I sell a lot more term than I do F.E. though, mainly bc I won't go where I need to for F.E.

I have to weigh in on going d2d selling FE. This is an excellent thread on this topic. Arguments for both sides have been laid out....advantage leads....advantage not buying leads....going d2d.

It is what it is. Those who like to go d2d do well because they have the right mind set to do so. And they will be proven right time and time again. Those who have the mind set for leads will also prove themselves to be right the very same way because that is where they are comfortable.

Yes time is money. But take it from an old debit guy I would much rather go d2d and get a "no" because he/she has no money ....no need...or whatever where I have not paid for a lead and drive all over Gods creation to get there.

Also factor in the number of leads for folks in their 50's who are difficult to get in front of. And the ones who do not have a good telephone number.

I have produced over 10k per month for a number of years buying leads and doing d2d some in the same month. I do not buy a lot of leads. And I am inclined to buy less in the future because you reach a point of diminishing returns when buying leads. A few lead batches in a row filled with repeat senders...time offenders ....are very frustrating to say the least. I also believe that the quality of leads has deteriorated in recent years. The demographics have been raised to include upscale homes. I get a lot of that. I have paid for a lot of leads that take me to homes of this type and those folks are not going to finance their funeral with a final expense product.

A single premium product could work in those instances but I find that leads to those homes are a large waste of resources.....my time....the cost of gas to get there, and the cost of the lead all adds up.

With all that said, that is why the old fashioned way of building a book of business is looking more and more attractive.

Im sorry I let you down. It really is a system,
1) Print out a sample lead that has been mailed recently in your area, or one you have mailed out before.
2) Get a list from Josh
3) Goto RouteSavvySlApp, use their free 30 day trial and route the entire data list. Have it order the list for best delivery time
4) Goto Create a map | BatchGeo and input 250 (for free) at a time, download the. kml at the bottom of the page.
5) Input kml code into a google map (use import function)
6) Walk upto door, give them a copy of the mailer and say,
"Hello X, my name is Scnabbly Wonderstein from Big Fancy Company, I am stopping by to see about the letter that was sent out recently about your final expenses."
"Do you have a plan that covers your funeral and other final expenses"?
If no,
"It takes about ten minutes to see what you qualify for, may I come in"?
If yes,
"If you could have MORE coverage for the same price your paying is it worth 10 minutes to take a look"?
This stuff is good advise but its been done when i started in the business in the 1980s. Nothing new

Latest posts

Back